Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ganoksin goes Pay-Per-View

Default Ganoksin goes Pay-Per-View

If anyone visits the Ganoksin Forum, they have gone pay-per-view today $4 per month and upwards. There is a link to apply for free membership for past mailing list users, but I've not received a response yet. Though I'm also not sure if they have migrated the forum to the new platform yet either, as it says due mid-Sept when you try to access it.

That's a great pity; it's been a resource I've used off and on since it was launched but in recent years the quality of the community content has been so atrocious that I stopped bothering with it. I had to unsubscribe from the list due to the signal to noise ratio. I can understand the need to monetise, but I wouldn't be surprised if that kills it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    ...due to the signal to noise ratio.
    Ditto, didn't take the feed, just visited as a resource as and when I needed. Though some of the threads were highly entertaining!

I also unsubbed a while ago. The 'change of ownership' was a very signal that a request for money was coming next. I've found a lot of the content useful over the years (if not always easy to read), and will miss it, but only a little.

Ah, is it no longer Hanuman's baby?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Shame that; I wonder how that stands with the many contributions / donations of material that I'm sure will have been made in the knowledge they were furthering the cause.

Just for information, the new Ganoksin website offers free membership to old contributors who are on their old email list when Hanuman ran the site.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Just for information, the new Ganoksin website offers free membership to old contributors who are on their old email list when Hanuman ran the site.

James
    Presumably by "contributor" you mean a person who has contributed an article of some kind. If so, whilst I can see a quite reasonable reward concept in operation there, all it's doing is incentivizing access* to the information on the site for the relatively small number of people who arguably least need access to it in the first place.
    *as well as encouraging further contributions, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Presumably by "contributor" you mean a person who has contributed an article of some kind. If so, whilst I can see a quite reasonable reward concept in operation there, all it's doing is incentivizing access* to the information on the site for the relatively small number of people who arguably least need access to it in the first place.
    *as well as encouraging further contributions, no doubt.
    On the Ganoksin Orchid forum section it states at the top of the page; Welcome! Become a member, to post in this forum.If you were a member of the old Orchid email list, Contact Us for your new free account. S
    So if you ever wrote on the Orchid forum, you are on their emailling list and are offered a free membership.