Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tube settings

Thanks Dennis

I'm gonna have a go at setting it this weekend, one way or another, busy week unfortunately!

Faith

Hoorah! After order the chenier, ball burr and seat burr, I have just finished my first attempt after reading all the info on this thread. Success!!! Bloody success!!!!! I'm so chuffed. Thanks for all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Susie can we see!?

In the end I decided I wasn't happy with ring number one, and having shattered ring number two in half made ring # three today. Tomorrow is my setting fun.

Congrats again on the success, I love it when stuff works

Faith

Oh no Faith. Well good luck with ring number 3. I must admit, i've given up on Gypsy settings. I just CANNOT seem to get it right.
    I'll post a photo of my next one. The tube is a bit high. I left it high because i thought if i mucked it up, i can lop the top off and have another go.
    Going for a double setting on my next ring...

Hi Susie,

Thankyou

Gypsy is one of my next ones to try, there's some good instructions on here, but the idea rather terrifies me too!

Did you make your ring with the tube on the ring (soldered onto a ring band) or in the ring (where u cut the band and slot the tube in - or not in my case)? If you did an "in the ring" one I'd love to hear your tips - it found it a nightmare. Once the circular integrity of the shank was broken I had no end of problems with it distorting.

Looking forward to seeing your next one

Faith

When cutting a shank to insert a tube, get the size correct then anneal it , or it will spring open when cut. Dennis.

I soldered mine on top of the ring band. My next one, will be soldering on a couple of tubes either side of some round wire.
    Dennis, you're a flipping genius.

Not really Susie, just had lots of disasters in the past and no doubt lots to come. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I actually did anneal it - the most successful one I annealed, pickled and reshaped (if necessary) three times! That seemed better. Possibly I'm not getting it hot enough...

Faith

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9847a.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	9476

Ok so here's my second go at the tube settings. Needs tweaking, but having fun!