Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Absence of hallmarking in Andrew Berry vid.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

Someone posted a remade spoon on the British Jewellers Assoc Fb page the other day and I can't tell you how many people told him how wonderful it was but all I wanted to ask was if he realised it needed to be re hallmarked

Should have done; I can't be the only grumpy sod in them. Can't remember which group it was where I posted a response to someone who asked about diamond suppliers and I immediately got spammed by one - so commented about that too.

Integrity is being true to your beliefs not following somebody elses orders

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Should have done; I can't be the only grumpy sod in them. Can't remember which group it was where I posted a response to someone who asked about diamond suppliers and I immediately got spammed by one - so commented about that too.

TBH I thought you might comment as no-one seems to listen to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    If you're defacing the hallmark or changing its use then AIUI it still needs assay, regardless of sale.
    Assaying a piece is only certifying what it is made of. If you recycle scrap gold and offer it for general sale you have to mark it over minimum weight to sell it as gold.

There is no legal requirement to assay if there was your bullion would have to be assayed also as a piece of worked metal.

So if as a commission someone asks you to use their scrap and remodel in to a new piece they can take it away unmarked if they are happy to do so. "integrity" is advising them of the limitations and consequences of not marking the piece where it exceeds minimum weight limits? 😊

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1711 View Post
    So if as a commission someone asks you to use their scrap and remodel in to a new piece they can take it away unmarked if they are happy to do so. "integrity" is advising them of the limitations and consequences of not marking the piece where it exceeds minimum weight limits? ��
    Assay may be "only" certifying what it is made of - but it's the hallmarking is a legal requirement, of which assay is only part of the process. If you are destroying an existing hallmark without authority, that is a criminal offence. If, for example, you are reworking silver spoons as jewellery without having them re-hallmarked then that is an offence.

I don't think you'll find a court of law would view it as anything other than you selling a piece of precious metal jewellery without following the hallmarking legislation. Anything else is little more than sophistry - and you're more than welcome to test it in law and come back with your findings.

Ignorance of the law is not viewed as an excuse. Get it hallmarked.

Really, this has been done to death - with input from the London Assay Office - several times on this forum.

This subject gets my goat.
    I'd urge anyone to read the hallmarking act, it's very short and very simple and mostly pretty clear.
    If in this instance a customer asks you to use their scrap, simply sell the final piece back to them describing it as article x manufactured from scrap metal provided by the customer. There is no need to mention gold silver or toffee.
    If you have destroyed any existing hallmarks by battering so as to render the item fit only for re manufacture, eg melted, rolled flat, or similar, it is not an offence under the act.

Mine too. It is pretty clear - and it makes no mention of destroying hallmarks by melting.
    "Batter" is very specific.