Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Absence of hallmarking in Andrew Berry vid.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I'm glad that I don't have this hassle
    Given that there is the potential for misunderstanding and uncertainty among jewellers certainly allows for the same among members of the general public.

I'm happy to support and engage in healthy debate, ideally arriving at clarity and all of this supporting upholding of the standards that English / British Silver (gold and other metals ... ;o) ) are renown for.

Another issue entirely, but I'm just not so happy that the Assay office now permits hallmarks in other countries. Though to some degree it makes sense when a 925 silver chain bought from Italy and supplied in the (currently) free trade zone can't be re-sold in the UK without the owner sending it for hall-marking, even if the buyer was back in Italy.

Yrs it seems to me as a outsider that the entire process is over complicated and needs to be revamped in some way, in Aus we work purely on the honor system there is no government
    requirement for Hallmarking technically we don't Hallmark just a makers mark and the precious metal mark e.g. 925, however it is unlawful to falsely mark a item