Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Absence of hallmarking in Andrew Berry vid.

Thanks Chris,

Its not really a problem for me either, but interesting to know. Mostly if my friends ask me to make things for them they end up getting it for Christmas or their birthdays

Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Here in London I have got into the habit of asking for a deep 3D lazer mark and trust them to make it as deep as is reasonable and convenient.

For me the advantage is that I don't have any distortion from a punch, or any dents visible on the reverse.
    That's a very nice piece of work, Dennis. Be sure to keep it in cotton wool when it's not in use. I've got a silver-topped cane I inherited and the top has more dents than a golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Maybe the customer was a friend who wasn't bothered about that.
    I was thinking more along the lines that he might have a cosy arrangement with customers whereby he produces evidence that satisfies them that their item is made of the genuine metal, and they are willing to forgo the hallmarking because it saves them some cost and the maker some inconvenience as well as the risk that the item might get lost or damaged in transit. The unacceptably frequent incidence of damage or loss caused to items while they are in the hands of assay offices or on their way to and from them, and the fact that all liability for loss lies with the sponsor, is a stronger deterrent against registering for hallmarking than assay offices perhaps recognise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Be sure to keep it in cotton wool when it's not in use. I've got a silver-topped cane I inherited and the top has more dents than a golf ball.
    Thanks Mark. I think it will be well looked after, but with what you said in mind, I made it from 0.8mm sheet, the rim is made from 2.0mm wire and the narrow neck is reinforced with a piece of 5.5mm tubing. Dennis.

I have noticed on a couple of Andrew Berry video tutorials he is remodelling customer's unwanted jewellery.. If it is your own scrap or unloved piece hallmarking is not really a big selling point..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1711 View Post
    If it is your own scrap or unloved piece hallmarking is not really a big selling point..

I don't follow your meaning there, I'm afraid.

If you know the provenance of the metal and you are having it remodelled for your own use you are less likely to want a piece hallmarked.. Especially if it is charged for in addition to the work.

If you're remodelling hallmarked jewellery you're changing it beyond what the original hallmark was awarded for - as well as defacing a hallmark. It needs to go back to the assay office. If you are selling an item as precious metal that requires a hallmark then the law is clear. It doesn't matter if the client provided the metal.

If its for your own use and not been sold does it not need hallmarking then ?

If you're defacing the hallmark or changing its use then AIUI it still needs assay, regardless of sale.

Ok cool makes sense