Thread: Digital torch

Default Digital torch

Like everyone, I have had occasions that have cost me time and money through adding an incorrect amount of heat to a piece.

So I was wondering if there is a gas torch for use on mains, that has either a digital temperature controller on the end or a controller that has a manual temperature controller fitted ,so you can choose an exact heat ?

Thank you for reading this

I'm not sure how that could work - the flame temperature is different in different parts of the flame, while the overall heat transferred to the piece is what is important, not the flame. The little butane torches have a similar flame temperature to a Sievert with a large nozzle, but the latter can put a lot more heat in (faster than the piece can dissipate it, depending on gas pressure & nozzle).

If you want carefully calibrated soldering temperatures (or are doing production line work) then I would look at kiln soldering - but (despite my fondness for tech) this is one of those where the old ways are best for this application. I suppose you could use a pyrometer or Tempil sticks to measure the temperature of the piece accurately, but unless you are doing heat treatment I personally wouldn't bother.

Yes, a common misconception is equating temperature and heat, so much so, that sellers often boast of the high temperature of the flame on their piddling little torches.

Think about it like this: the sparks from a party sparkler are white hot, indicating a temperature of 1000°C or more. however when they land on your hand, you hardly feel them, because they are very small and don't have much heat.

In general terms the heat available increases with the size of the burner(that's the tube the flame comes out of)and the amount of air mixed with the gas, often regulated by changing the size of the air hole. Dennis.

It is just a case of experience and practise, knowing when to remove the heat away from your work and knowing the capabilities of the equipment you're using. It won't stop you from melting something from time to time when you are soldering a difficult piece or you take your eye of the ball for a second but it'll happen less often she says with confidence that she won't go and make a complete b.... Up of the next piece she solders

Haha! I was going to say the same Caroline but I must confess I melted something only last week

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Haha! I was going to say the same Caroline but I must confess I melted something only last week
    I tell a good tale Sarah, it's been a while but it'll come back to bite me on the bum now!

Lol! well it is true though, it is about practise and experience, it definitely gets easier