Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Got Fed Up With This.

Well Dennis perhaps you should sell, the stuff you make is beautiful. I "do" a craft show once a month but am thinking of stopping as I dont sell much and its way underpriced, just covers the cost of the silver etc. You must have a huge stash, I know I have and you have been at it longer than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Andy, what Dennis and I are referring to here when we say Dremel is this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Engr...engraving+tool

It's not a rotary tool but a percussion tool with a reciprocating head that performs a crude type of hammer action. Obviously a proper hammer handpiece used with either a pendant motor or micromotor would be better, but it would be many times more expensive, and you have to have either a pendant motor or a micromotor to begin with, of course, for it to be useable.

I bought the Dremel engraver because I was having trouble pushing over bezel walls in sterling (thicker ones, at any rate) just using a hammer and punch. This tool has made life much easier.

My main tool for jewelry work is a Foredom K1070 micromotor. I have a Dremel 4000, but keep it for rough work such as reshaping silicone polishing wheels. I don't use it to make jewelry.
    Ahh.... Thanks I see! I couldn't see how a rotary Dremel tool would be able to hammer. The engraver does seem a good, value option.

By the sound of it, you've made a replacement tip then with a flat end. I guess if you have a lathe you could make yourself a variety of different sized flat tips.

Thanks for the info.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Ahh.... Thanks I see! I couldn't see how a rotary Dremel tool would be able to hammer. The engraver does seem a good, value option.

By the sound of it, you've made a replacement tip then with a flat end. I guess if you have a lathe you could make yourself a variety of different sized flat tips.
    I have the same, but there is no need for a lathe to make replacement tips for bezel setting, just get some steel or brass rod the same diameter as the engraving tip (1/8" or 3.1mm approx I think) cut to length (20mm) and either semi-smooth or polish the end to your preferred profile.
    Last edited by Paul Kay; 13-09-2016 at 06:23 AM.

How does the Foredom hammer work, and don't say up and down. Is it a good purchase or a waste of money, use my motor a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Is it a good purchase or a waste of money, use my motor a lot.
    If you do a lot of setting, particularly with bezels, then I'd say it's a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    How does the Foredom hammer work, and don't say up and down.
    In and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
    I have the same, but there is no need for a lathe to make replacement tips for bezel setting, just get some steel or brass rod the same diameter as the engraving tip (1/8" or 3.1mm approx I think) cut to length (20mm) and either semi-smooth or polish the end to your preferred profile.
    I didn't have any rod in the right size, but I did have some slightly oversize. All I did was put a section in my Dremel 4000 and use this as a "lathe", holding the spinning rod against some wet and dry paper to take down its diameter to the right thickness.

If you are short of a steel rod and don't want to invest in a lot of stock, you might consider the stem of a 3.2mm twist drill, available singly from local ironmongers, which fits exactly and can be cut to the required length with a carborundum cut off disk.

If you want the end flattened like a traditional bezel pusher, you can forge it with a hammer on a steel block when heated to red hot. Dennis.

3.175mm is an 1/8" may be easier to find and for all intents the same size

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Andy, what Dennis and I are referring to here when we say Dremel is this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Engr...engraving+tool

It's not a rotary tool but a percussion tool with a reciprocating head that performs a crude type of hammer action. Obviously a proper hammer handpiece used with either a pendant motor or micromotor would be better, but it would be many times more expensive, and you have to have either a pendant motor or a micromotor to begin with, of course, for it to be useable.

I bought the Dremel engraver because I was having trouble pushing over bezel walls in sterling (thicker ones, at any rate) just using a hammer and punch. This tool has made life much easier.

My main tool for jewelry work is a Foredom K1070 micromotor. I have a Dremel 4000, but keep it for rough work such as reshaping silicone polishing wheels. I don't use it to make jewelry.
    How do you reshape your silicone wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    How do you reshape your silicone wheels?

Ah forget that question. Just found a you tube vid of someone using a drill and a file. Doh!

The silicon/rubber wheels are pretty soft, I do as Dennis suggested, using diamond sharpening plates (I got a set of three for about £8 from ebay - the kind that look like a giant nail file rather than the kind that look like a cheese grater). Just run the wheel up in the dremel (or equivalent) and touch to plate. It does obviously produce a bunch of powdery rubbery dust, so I probably wouldn't do it with a file I was gonna use for my silver - just because I expect it'd be irritating to unclog the file.

Faith