Thread: soldering claws together to make a setting

Default soldering claws together to make a setting

Has anyone used these? I can't think how else you would solder 4 claws together without a gallery, if anyone has any advice that would be great

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...ing?code=C8677

The short answer is like this: http://etsymetal.blogspot.co.uk/2010...law-prong.html.

However, four claws are not always appropriate and you might prefer more. The device you show in your link has a great deal of metal, and therefore acts as a heat sink and needs a lot more heat.

There are simpler slimmer ones from Karl Fisher here: https://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/se...=setting+tools Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-09-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    Has anyone used these? I can't think how else you would solder 4 claws together without a gallery, if anyone has any advice that would be great

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/be...ing?code=C8677
    We discussed these tools quite recently, I seem to remember.
    I think I prefer making prong settings/collets freehand rather than using a jig now; the soldering is much quicker, you can use whatever wire thickness you want, and I seem to get better results anyway.

The image shows the second freehand claw setting I ever made (the first was a bin job).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fabricated collet cropped.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	9383

I use to have a set and gave it away it was more trouble that is was worth, after a bit of practice you will be you will able the build and solder your settings in less time and with less bother than setting up the jig

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I think I prefer making prong settings/collets freehand rather than using a jig now; the soldering is much quicker, you can use whatever wire thickness you want, and I seem to get better results anyway.

The image shows the second freehand claw setting I ever made (the first was a bin job).

That is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post

Sleek moves for the second attempt. Does the square wire not cause the stone to sit askew or did you then cut it down to size?

Quote Originally Posted by Maree Hart View Post
    That is beautiful.
    Many thanks, Maree!

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Does the square wire not cause the stone to sit askew or did you then cut it down to size?
    The opening of the upper gallery needed to be burred out on a bevel to accommodate the slope of the stone's pavilion.
    I seem to remember the galleries weren't actually made from square wire, because I didn't have any at the time. Instead I had to cut strips from some sterling sheet.

The advantage of fabricated settings is that they can be made much stronger than the pre-made castings you typically find for sale. When working in silver, this extra strength is especially important, I think. I've roadtested quite a few pre-made settings and ring mounts in silver on willing victims, and whilst some are fairly durable, others are lucky to survive a single outing. A major reason for this, though, is the inherent weakness of some designs (overly slender shanks and tall, poorly supported settings made from perilously thin wire) rather than anything intrinsically weak about the materials used.