Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soldering silver ring with sapphire in place?

Default soldering silver ring with sapphire in place?

Hi guys,

Hoping for some pointers/advice. I have a green smooth sapphire cab set into a simple silver ring (part of a stacking set, pictured), but I have a customer who loves this stone and needs it to be 3 sizes smaller...

Firstly, does anyone know of anyone that would be able to supply me a stone like this? It's a 6mm smooth green sapphire, not quite as vibrant as in the picture, but still a nice bright green. The supplier I got it from don't have any more in stock.

Alternatively, I should be OK to just cut the shank, immerse the setting in thermo paste and solder it shut again? Any tips/ideas?

Cheers,
    Carin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999_RI_024_1-green-sapphire-stacking-ring.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	9475
    Last edited by camalidesign; 11-10-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I wouldn't want to risk it personally, I would either remove and reset it or get somebody with a PUK laser to do it.

I would extract the stone intact, as that is the most precious item and there are two ways:

1. Insert the point of a craft knife gently between stone and bezel. Go round and round five or six times until a gap opens, enough to extract the stone with BluTack, or heavy duty sticky tape. If you are patient this will eventually work and preserve the bezel.

2. Cut the bezel horizontally at the base of the stone, until the stone shows. Then lever the bezel up with a knife and cut it with side cutters to release the stone. Make a new bezel cup.

Or do as Sara suggests. Dennis.

ward gemstones has a couple

Thanks all, I guess I will take it out and reset or re-do the setting, depending on how I get on with taking it out.

Wards only have a few smaller ones, but thanks for looking!

Ta!
    Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Silver's a tad easier to weld than high-carbon steel, thankfully...

Personally three sizes is pushing the limits of re-sizing, I would just remake it, ( or make another one )

You reckon? I've got a set ring here which I'm taking from an R to an L... Bit of a swine, but doable.

It's a simple 2.5 mm round shank so I could just cut out a little piece and re-solder it, 3 sizes should be absolutely fine to re-size! But as I will possibly have to remake the bezel anyway, I might just make a new shank and use the old one for something else...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I have never downsized, 3 sizes as yet, I was always told by my mentor that 3 sizes about the limit