Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing Routine

Default Polishing Routine

Just wondering what other people do to get a nice shine. Up to now I've just been using rouge with a Dremel and felt wheels then rinsing in warm soapy water but I'd like to get a better shine. I've just bought some Micromesh and radial disks but not sure in what order I should use them, I'm guessing Micromesh first then radial disks & final polish with the rouge?

I have been reading through the other polishing threads but getting myself more confused!!

I use ever flex rubber in various shapes.
    Tbh I find once Ive got a good finish from the green ever flex ( the finest one) it barely needs polishing so I now just wash off and then rub over with a silver cloth as I find the result as good as I was getting with various different polishes and it takes less time.
    The key is in getting a good enough finish with the green ever flex for me.

For polishing I use a bristle brush mop with Tripoli compound first; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-CAH,
    Tripoli compound;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-198

then I finish with a Swansdown mop with rouge compound; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AFZ
    Rouge compound; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-189

I also find it useful to dap a little paraffin oil on the swansdown mop before adding the rouge compound, I have an old jam jar full of paraffin oil next to the polishing motor, and I use a length of round wooden dowel about the size of a pencil to dab on the paraffin lubricant while the mop is spinning, I find this helps me get a mirror shine finish, a useful hint taught to me by a professional silver polisher way back when I was an apprentice.

This is how I like to see my pieces finished;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007b-Tiverton badge.PB.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	9372

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 07-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.

There you go, top tip from a professional !
    Having finally bought a polishing motor I will give that a go myself now thanks James .
    How often do you find you need to change the brush and mop?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    There you go, top tip from a professional !
    Having finally bought a polishing motor I will give that a go myself now thanks James .
    How often do you find you need to change the brush and mop?
    Sarah, I keep all of my old mops in a box, all that happens through usage is their diameters decrease and some smaller diameter mops are useful to get inside tight spaces. If you have a bench polisher try and buy larger diameter mops, my soft swansdown mops start off at 5 inches diameter, I find that the larger mops are better for polishing flat surfaces. I forgot to mention that I have an old blunt knife which I hold against the spinning soft mops now and then to remove any excess polishing compound or anything else stuck to the mop.

James

James

Wow that's a shine!! Interesting info I presume that's using a bench polisher?

Yes I was looking at the everflex ones, might get some of those, there's a lot of them to choose from though!

Thank you James, much appreciated!

Ang, there are 4 grades, blue is coarse then grey then red then green.
    Other than that its just a question of what shape and size depending on what area you need to work in- the 520 is the standard shape and size with the points and wheels being used as needed for tighter spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by angmc View Post
    Wow that's a shine!! Interesting info I presume that's using a bench polisher?
    Yes I use a bench polisher, this is my well used trusty old machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	203  Polishing motor.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	9373

James

Co-sign on the bristle brush mop. Never heard of using the paraffin oil though that sounds like an interesting tip. I'll have to try.