Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing Routine

Sounds a bit messy for a spare bedroom, sticking to the everflex method i think.

I also polish more less like James, minus the paraffin. I've also moved on to Luxi, blue and white but find myself going back to rouge and Tripoli at times which defeats the purpose as Luxi is a bit cleaner. I've also tried the synthetic suede mops from Cookson which are good when doing larger surfaces but a bit big for me
    This is the finish I get

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	9374

I find my mops get really clogged up with Tripoli and Rouge and from a previous tip on this forum, I tried using the blunt knife method to clean them, and I couldn't shift it. I must be doing it wrong. I also remember someone talking about singeing their mops. Is this something any of you do? And if so, what's the technique. I seriously need to find a way to de-clog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Susie,
    When mops are new, any threads sticking out can cause tramlines on your work and can be singed off with a taper. Hoever, scissors will do too.

If you mops are so heavily loaded you are probably using too much compound and need to just add a little paraffin to soften it, until it is used up.

You might also consider starting again with water soluble compounds like Luxi, or even Menzerna a car polish , which are more user friendly.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=me...w=1280&bih=697

Thanks Dennis. I'll try the paraffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry my post seemed to add twice, it wasn't me:/

Yesterday, I went to buy some paraffin and couldn't get it anywhere. Not even the hardware store. So i went to homebase - that was a mistake. When i explained what i needed it for, a little spotty boy said to me "Nah mate. Paraffin is for BURNIN! Not Jewlry. Nah mate, you don't know what you're talking about..." Ha ha.

Try asking for kerosene, or get some from ebay
    Edit: forgot - if you or neighbours have oil heating, grab a cupful, that's the stuff.
    Or even diesel
    Last edited by trialuser; 27-09-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Or if you just want a small amount, Lamp Oil is the same stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/1litre-Qual.../dp/B005LFQNL4
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Yesterday, I went to buy some paraffin and couldn't get it anywhere. Not even the hardware store. So i went to homebase - that was a mistake. When i explained what i needed it for, a little spotty boy said to me "Nah mate. Paraffin is for BURNIN! Not Jewlry. Nah mate, you don't know what you're talking about..." Ha ha.
    That's a strange answer from Homebase when they have it for sale on their website;http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...4-litre-425391

James