Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gemstone suppliers for cabs

Default Gemstone suppliers for cabs

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for gemstone suppliers for cabochons?

I live within reach of the jewellery quarter in brum, so have scoured those in the phone book there, largely ive found little in the way of precious / semi-precious cabs except for at Wards - and while a magical wonderland - I'm not looking at the way expensive end of the spectrum. I want nice stones, but say sub £25 each, lest I demolish them during setting.

Usually I use cooksons or Manchester minerals, but for example, you can't buy a decent sized topaz or aquamarine cab from either. Etsy have them, but I feel like I wanna know where the etsy folks get them from....

Online is good to as I work and while taking a day off to go see stone merchants that only open mon-fri is delicious, it's not always possible.

Many thanks

Faith

Well try Kernowcraft Faith: http://www.kernowcraft.com/

They have a kind of rock and gem shop in Cornwall and stock tools, findings and beads as well. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-09-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Oooooo, for a moment I was dissapointed, thinking I've already been there, but I meant this Wards http://www.wardsmandjgems.co.uk the one you linked too looks rather amazing!

I'm insane jealously that you can actually go there What did we choose to live in the silly countryside for?!

Thanks Dennis, that's a fab tip

Faith

No! Don't edit out A E Ward! So glad I looked at my phone the A E Ward web shop may now be my very favourite thing!

Thanks for Kernowcraft too tho

Faith

Have you tried www.wardgemstones.com? I don't think they are connected to the site you mention above.

They have a vast range. I haven't used them yet, though will as soon as I can afford to. I registered an account with them and it seems that there is an automatic 50% discount on their prices when you actually order.

Now I look silly - the site I linked to is A E Ward!

Hi Maree,

No it's okay I think we've all been crossing messages on this thread! Thanks for the second recommendation of A E Ward - it is different to the other "Wards M & J Gems" that I'd looked at before - and certainly for the tip about the discount, that makes it even more appealing

Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    No! Don't edit out A E Ward! So glad I looked at my phone the A E Ward web shop may now be my very favourite thing!Thanks for Kernowcraft too tho Faith
    Aren't we all going round in circles? Lucky you saw that before I had second thoughts and scrubbed it out. Gem stones have suddenly become much more expensive 'though, and you will note from my album that I am using more CZs and Spinel (that's glass to you) also from AE Ward. Dennis.

I use all the above but I must admit I like Etsy too and buy quite a bit through them.
    For opals I buy direct from the opal auctions in Australia, I can spend hours on there ( I like opals lol)
    https://www.opalauctions.com

Hi Sarah, I see what you mean - that website should have some kind of addiction warning, just look at the boulder opals.... great suggestion thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Aren't we all going round in circles?.
    Only a little bit - there are clearly too many "Ward" variants selling gemstones! But its okay, I've got some fab new places to look at, so thank you.

Faith