Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Chris!

Default Thanks Chris!

Chris gave me a tip the other day about making sure the power is down as low as possible on the hammer handpiece when setting, seems kinda obvious now but I never realised!
    I just wanted to say thank you as I finally managed a thickish gold bezel ( 0.4mm and a 5mm stone) that Im really pretty happy with even at full magnification!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alliering.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	9365

Yes it's a very smart piece of work. Dennis.

That's just gorgeous looking Sarah!

How did u make the setting? Is it one of the type with a notchy ledge inside to seat the stone? And how did you make it heart shaped?

Veritable witchcraft
    Faith

Thanks very much Dennis and Faith!
    Ive really struggled with the inner edge on these in the past so it was a big relief!
    I anneal the gold really well Faith then bend it partially with pliers are partially around the stone itself as the stone is sat on blu tack ( thank you Dennis for that tip some time ago!).
    I don't normally make a ledge inside but rather taper the bezel very slightly to hold the stone in place.
    My biggest problem has always been adjusting the setting enough to seat the stone and pushing over without ruining the inner edge as I do so-especially with garnets that mark so easily.

Thanks Sarah Must be challenging to keep the stone level I guess? Also from your photo it looks like you must have pushed the tinyest bit of metal over to get that look? Do you happen to have any pics of the stone in the setting before you pushed the metal in? I'd be so interested to see - I have a real inclination to make bezels too high I think, fortunately I actually like the look of them like that, but I'd love to see what yours are like pre-setting

Faith

Thanks Faith, yes getting the stone in level and to stay level as its set is my second biggest challenge lol
    I haven't got any in progress pics Im afraid, I basically have just enough metal to push over so the table is sitting ever so slightly below the rim of the bezel all around before I start pushing it over, any shorter and it would push the stone out rather than go over.
    I think all non round faceted stones are a faff to do, they are for me anyway I tend to sigh with relief if I get a cabochon to do as at least it will sit flat whilst setting.

Thanks for the description Sarah, I'm still very much discovering the art of the possible with stone setting, so that's really helpful

Faith

Oh me too, I did do a weeks stone setting course which helped a lot but what the professionals can do is amazing!
    The microscope is a massive help though, otherwise you simply don't see the faults until you photograph.

I would love to do a course Sarah, but it's not easy for me to do at the moment with restricted leave etc.

Wandering slightly off topic, having done bezels for cabs and my one attempt at the double sided bezel for the faceted cushion cut, what would you recommend next in my DIY teach myself approach to learning setting? I'm thinking perhaps tube setting of cabs, then faceted rounds, and then - I'm not sure if it's technically thick bezel setting or perhaps flush setting (I'm imagining a setting made from sort of drilling out a metal ball, cutting the seat and encouraging the metal over) - it's probably a kind of flush setting isn't it but would look like a super chunky bezel?

Alternatively that might be a terrible order!

Faith

Faith Im really no expert, I just made what I wanted in no particular order lol
    On the course we only did setting using pre made cast rings as it would have been a much longer course to learn how to make settings too.
    Its a good thing to do if you can buy some cast settings from Cooksons as once you learn how to set into those it gives you a clearer idea of what makes life easier when making your own.
    I think the easiest settings are cabs followed by claw set round faceted stones( if the claws are bought rather than made) followed by bezel set faceted stones.
    Flush setting is what you described and that is easy once you get the hang of getting your drilled hole exactly the right size.
    There is a tutorial on here somewhere about that which I found really helpful, I will try and find it later if I get time- unless you find it first