Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larger gauge sterling silver wire?

Default Larger gauge sterling silver wire?

I visited Art in Action this year and watched somebody making really chunky chain links from 6mm (not 0.6!) round wire..

I'd like to try making some body mod stuff in sterling and 6mm or even 8mm would be interesting (that's a statement I wouldn't have ever imagined would come from my own mouth ) I haven't had any luck searching for it... So do I have to have a rolling mill. And make My own?

I'm adding to my kit as and when I can but a rolling mill is such a long way down the list.

Regards

Gordon

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Cookson sells silver rods of the thicknesses you like and up to 2 feet lengths, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...ing+silver+rod

James

Wow! I looked on the app under wires and that doesn't come up! Thank you you are a star!

Quote Originally Posted by 1711 View Post
    I visited Art in Action this year and watched somebody making really chunky chain links from 6mm (not 0.6!) round wire.. I'd like to try making some body mod stuff in sterling and 6mm or even 8mm would be interesting (that's a statement I wouldn't have ever imagined would come from my own mouth ) I haven't had any luck searching for it... So do I have to have a rolling mill. And make My own? Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Gordon, many rolling mills have rollers with V shaped notches which are brilliant for making square wire from ingots or offcuts but then you need to move on to a draw bench and a draw plate to convert it to round. Dennis.

I can't imagine where you would start to make a chain from 6mm wire. I can't even bend that size into a bangle very easily.

my thoughts too Carole! I made a chain with 2.5mm hammered links (a gent's bracelet) and the state of my hands afterwards was grim!

Cooksons are all for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    my thoughts too Carole! I made a chain with 2.5mm hammered links (a gent's bracelet) and the state of my hands afterwards was grim!
    2mm is the largest chain I have made and my hands were in a state too!

Good luck with your project Gordon - I don't envy you though.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    2mm is the largest chain I have made and my hands were in a state too!

Good luck with your project Gordon - I don't envy you though.
    Thankfully it's a fairly large diameter internally.. I'm not trying to make a 20mm jump ring

The young lady I was watching was a dainty and delicate petite build and was doing a nifty job of bending and manipulating her links I have to say.. But I will be starting off with just enough silver just in case I'm much more wimpy than her

If by "body mod stuff" you mean piercings Sterling silver is not suitable