Thread: White silver?

Default White silver?

Hi all, I have been making a lot of bezels as my partner fuses glass and it's a great way to add value to a small cabochon and differentiates ours from the glut of glue on bails..

Initially I was polishing up using papers (240 up to 1200) now I'm using a tumbler with mixed stainless steel shot or my dremel and luxi blue and red..

The results are fine.. And I am "happy" but... I look at the silver I buy from cookies and my finished pieces and they look more steely grey than bright white
    The problem is some of the chains and other sterling bits I buy seem to be white and shiny? They come from reputable suppliers so I don't know why the colours are different? It has lost me a couple of sales because chains are not identical.. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1711 View Post
    Hi all, I have been making a lot of bezels as my partner fuses glass and it's a great way to add value to a small cabochon and differentiates ours from the glut of glue on bails..

Initially I was polishing up using papers (240 up to 1200) now I'm using a tumbler with mixed stainless steel shot or my dremel and luxi blue and red..

The results are fine.. And I am "happy" but... I look at the silver I buy from cookies and my finished pieces and they look more steely grey than bright white
    The problem is some of the chains and other sterling bits I buy seem to be white and shiny? They come from reputable suppliers so I don't know why the colours are different? It has lost me a couple of sales because chains are not identical.. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1472890539799.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	9357

It is common practice for some finished silver chain suppliers to silver plate the chains when finishing, this hides any solder lines and discolouration, and also gives a white silver appearance.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    It is common practice for some finished silver chain suppliers to silver plate the chains when finishing, this hides any solder lines and discolouration, and also gives a white silver appearance.

James
    So it's not me messing up then?

Maybe also some firescale on your bezels that is making them look grey

Are you using sterling or fine?

I don't think you would have this problem if you bought loose chain, which as James has mentioned, has not been prettied up by plating.

However, this is the first time in in my time here, that this has been mentioned on the forum. So yes, there could be firescale too as Caroline proposed.

Trial User of course was hinting at the fact that fine silver bezels don't attract firescale, so would be a match for plated chains, particularly if the back plate were the same. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-09-2016 at 11:44 AM.

It might be that the chains are holding some grey matter from tumbling. Clean thoroughly or ultrasonic. If you're still having an issue, try pickling and brushing with steel or brass (under water).