Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UK Hallmarks being struck in India?

Much of the mass produced jewellery sold in the UK is made in India and China. By law it must be UK hallmarked. Easier to mark as a stage in production, we all know that. Therefore makes sense to move assay site to place of production if the volume justifies. LAO marked all the Olympic gold and silver medals on site at the Royal Mint in Wales. This would be no different an operation presumably. In any case the sky would not fall in if there were no hallmarking system and we could all save a little time and a little money. The legal insistence is probably illegal under EU competition law anyway as it forces EU makers to have their items assayed before they can sell in the UK - It is a qualitative restriction
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by FailedAssay View Post
    The British Hallmarking Council have launched a public consultation to gather opinions from members of the trade and public about striking identical or very similar versions of traditional UK Hallmarks in other countries. Everyone can make their views known on how they feel about this and how different overseas struck Hallmarks by subsidiary offices of UK Assay Offices should be from those struck in the UK. Interesting document with some interesting questions about the future of UK Assay. I am working out my responses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...fices-overseas
    Just seen this and as it is a PUBLIC consultation I thought that it should be flagged up! Thanks for posting it on the forum FailedAssay, I will fill it in when I get a few moments.

Looks like Birmingham will be getting a new hallmark to use in their Indian operation to differentiate from UK national marks.

Just been copied in on this taken from the BHC website.

Detail of outcome
    This document sets out the Council’s response to the consultation on overseas hallmarking.
    The Council has decided in principle that hallmarks struck overseas by UK Assay Offices should be distinguished by way of a special mark. Discussions are now taking place with Assay Offices as to what form that mark should take and once agreed it will be implemented within 1 year.
    Detail of feedback received
    We received over 120 responses, including 9 from our 15 official consultees.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...fices-overseas