Thread: Help needed with stacking rings

Default Help needed with stacking rings

Hi everyone,

I've been making allot of rings but i can never get them to stack well together. The sizes of the bands are the same but once i solder the bezel, the bands never sit well together. I've got a custom order for a stacking ring set so wanted advice or tips before i get started.

The rings i will be making is from 1.2mm sterling silver round wire and 1mm 9ct gold wire, both will have bezels.

If anyone can tell me what i am doing wrong, i would really appreciate it

Thank you
    Sofi

Hi Sofi,

Is the "bezel" you are referring to a setting placed on top of a band? I am thinking of a bezel as only the strip of metal around the perimeter of the stone. Can you post a picture of what style you are planning to make?

While you can have different widths of bands in a stacking ring set, it is much better if the thickness is the same. A 1.2mm diameter wire will not sit well with 1mm round wire. By the way these seem very thin, is that the actual dimension?

When you solder the bezel cup on top (I assume these are bezel cups for cabochon stones) you cannot file down the ring to allow a 'flat' for the cup to sit on, as that will cause the cup to foul the next ring. You need to ensure it is high enough that the adjacent ring will slip underneath.