Thread: Bangle Mandrels

Default Bangle Mandrels

Hi Peeps,

I'm thinking as there are 3 sizes of bangle mandrel, that the medium round one is likely to be the most use. Would anyone who makes lots of bangles let me know which one they get the most use out of - I can't buy them all, so I just want the most useful. My rolling pin is fairly narrow, as far as rolling pins go - and now its quite dented as the wood is quite soft, so its not great for pastry any more! Also, do people find the oval one useful too, or no?

Thanks
    Sue

Sorry, that gave the wrong impression - despite the rolling pin comment, I'm looking at the metal mandrels.
    Thanks

I have only ever had the wooden bangle mandrels, Cookson 999 805 and 999 810. They are made of oak and hardly mark at all if you use a hide mallet. They are inexpensive, lighter in weight and cover all possible sizes from babies to weight lifters.

More to the point is the controversy : should bangles be round or oval. My conclusion is half way between the two, that is slightly oval. Having the two mandrels allows me to adjust to that. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-09-2016 at 08:28 PM.

I have both round and oval tapered but mine have scored maybe because I got them on eBay but they weren't that cheap. You have to remember with the tapered variety to keep on turning your bangle round

I have a large one, under 50mm must be children sizes, most of my customers are over 70mm.
    Mine has marked though despite only using a rawhide hammer, very annoying as it now marks the silver which then has to be polished out
    I also have an oval one although only ever made one oval bangle but it is very useful for cuffs