Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just made a stand for the smiths little torch

Default just made a stand for the smiths little torch

was messing around in the workshop and thought i would make a stand for the little torch as i begrudge paying around £30 for a smiths stand so got to work on it and this is the result i am very happy with it . I made it from the base of a broken helping hand and a peg board hook threaded the bar 3 nuts and there you go simple and cost me nothing .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8310307.jpg   P8310308.jpg  

Following a long standing maxim: try to use what you already have. Very satisfying to use a stand stand you have made yourself. Dennis.

Good one I always like to make shop equipment if I can, usually ends up costing much less that commercial items and gives a lot of satisfaction, only problem
    is I can never put anything the bin in case I may use it one day.

Good idea, I could do with something for mine too, have to tell my husband LOL

I hate waste and I hate spending money I don't have to so this gets a massive thumbs up from me. A number of my tools are either built up from bits I had lying about, or they're items I've picked up for pennies as scrap and then given a new job in life. The only note of caution (which predictably I had to learn the hard way!) is don't let the tail wag the dog. If it is going to take a week to make the tool for a five minute job, sometimes it really is better to bite the bullet and buy the "real thing".

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Another easy bodge which seems to work well is to wrap a few turns of coat hanger wire or similar around the torch and screw a magnet somewhere.
    Mine is a 20 quid knock off, but a genuine one may even have some steel in it somewhere and may not require the wire.
    Rare earth magnet and hasn't fallen off in 2 years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag-torch.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	9352

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Another easy bodge which seems to work well is to wrap a few turns of coat hanger wire or similar around the torch and screw a magnet somewhere.
    Mine is a 20 quid knock off, but a genuine one may even have some steel in it somewhere and may not require the wire.
    Rare earth magnet and hasn't fallen off in 2 years.

Name:	mag-torch.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	9352
    If you look behind my torch by the polisher you will see another stem I have made with a magnet on it so I may make another stand and see which works best .

I used to have a magnetic type , then I was given bent rod type including a lighter I like it much better, never did get used to the plate on the handle for the magnet just one of those little things that annoy that really shouldn't.

My simple solution for a torch hanger is just a spring clamp and a cup hook on the edge of my workbench.

Name:	021b  Torch hanger.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	9353

James

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I used to have a magnetic type , then I was given bent rod type including a lighter I like it much better, never did get used to the plate on the handle for the magnet just one of those little things that annoy that really shouldn't.
    i think the one i have made suits me better then the magnet type i also do not like the plate on the torch .