Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etching

Hopefully Sarah will reply too, but:

Drying of varnish depends on room temperature and how thick the varnish has become after opening, so 2-8 hours. You can apply a sample to scrap and test it with a scriber. It should be crisp.
    Maplin and others sell a resist pen for fine work. https://www.google.co.uk/?client=fir...hing&gfe_rd=cr

To get the best out of your solution you agitate and gently brush with a feather from time to time. some use a fish tank aerator.
    You remove it when you are satisfied with the depth of etch, or tiny dots are being undermined by etchant. A slower (more dilute) etch is better than a fast one. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 31-08-2016 at 12:04 PM.

I used this varnish:
    http://www.lawrence.co.uk/shop/Rhind...l#.V8bOSVcbjR0
    It dries really quickly once painted on, I can't recall exactly but minutes rather than hours- as Dennis says try a bit on scrap first.
    I got the pen but it didn't work for me, I seem to recall that it didn't resist as well, or maybe the nib was too thick, its a while ago so I can't remember exactly why just that I ditched it and went back to the varnish for that job.
    I had to apply the varnish for that with a metal scribe as the detail was so fine, very time consuming but most jobs you can do with a brush once you get the hang of it
    Make sure you hang pieces upside down in the etching fluid- most items you can just stick strong tape across the reverse side and suspend that way but some you need to be a bit more inventive.
    How long you leave them in depends on how deep you want the etch as Dennis says- usually I leave mine for a few hours and check every 1/2hr to an hour.
    Be careful not to get the fluid on your fingers or anything else as it does stain.....

Brilliant thanks for all the help and advice guys.

I'm loving this forum already and only been on it a week! Maybe one day I'll have enough experience to impart some advice but for the moment I'm just soaking it all up.

Really sorry I knew there was something else I needed to ask...can you use the same batch of nitrate for silver and copper and can it be stored and used again?

No and yes in that order. Not sure what the shelf life of the solution is offhand, but definitely don't etch copper in a solution you've used for silver.

Yes you can use it again but the shelf life isn't great once mixed with water- it seems to weaken fairly quickly.
    I just try it in and if its not etching I mix a new batch, its pretty inexpensive on Ebay.

Peter, what happens if you etch copper in a solution thats had silver in, Im curious now?

Well, if you wanted to plate the copper rather than etch it... (Note - it won't be pretty and it won't be thick)

I've done something similar by accident - ferric chloride that I'd used on copper I then tried to use to etch steel (forgot it had been used already). The result was pretty, but not what I'd intended.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 31-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.

It has its uses - a traditional way of marking steel was to use a slightly acidified solution of copper sulphate on it, then scribe through it for layout.