Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I use to texture metal in my rolling mill

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevilia View Post
    Q: Nail art stamps plates? I have a few of them from my nail art era?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Yes, the brass ones work just fine. As do brass embossing plates, die cut paper, hessian, lace (possibly my favourite), wire, and quite a lot of rather obscure foodstuffs (not always entirely intended for rolling). I do find some things work better in multi-part sandwiches - sometimes with two different metals, and as Dennis says, I tend to also include a layer of paper on the outside of everything in case it's either messy or potentially damaging to rollers. It's amazing how much goo can come out of a leaf that you really thought was thoroughly dry...

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Great photos!
    Can I butt in and ask how you avoid the solder going over the texture when soldering a bezel on?
    I guess the question is meant for our Lydia, Sarah and I hope she'll come back about that.
    For me, putting the solder inside the bezel rather sparingly of course, but also putting a small bevel on the outside bottom edge.
    This causes a stronger meniscus to form and helps to hold back the solder. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 30-08-2016 at 01:12 AM.

I do what the same. You might be tickled to know when I do get in a sticky spot while making I often ask WWDD? (What would Dennis do). Stops m'panic, gets me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    ...quite a lot of rather obscure foodstuffs
    The mind boggles. Although I immediately thought of using baran, the fake plastic leaf used in bento boxes. Not strictly a foodstuff, but might roll.
    The more rigid plastic nets you get some fruit in give a pleasing texture.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    The mind boggles. Although I immediately thought of using baran, the fake plastic leaf used in bento boxes. Not strictly a foodstuff, but might roll.
    The more rigid plastic nets you get some fruit in give a pleasing texture.
    Yes artificial skeleton leaves from craft suppliers work well. They don't break up in use, just squash flat. Dennis.

Carole I could kiss you. I've a pattern I've used in etching that this would be perfect for, am ordering now. Thank you!

I have never used a rolling mill. Are the hand turned ones heavy to use (not as strong as I was 20 years ago). Do they need to be bolted down or is the weight enough to hold them relatively still. Wouldn't mind getting the cheap cookies one for £164.

They are not heavy work if they have gears, Pat. Mine has only ever been mounted on a heavy board with doorstops as feet.

The board also has handles, so I can move it out of the way when not in use. I have learned over the years to proceed slowly and not use much pressure, which gives better results. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounted Rolling Mill.jpg