Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I use to texture metal in my rolling mill

Default What can I use to texture metal in my rolling mill

Hi all

I have put down my torch and started dabbling in cold connections and love the riveted look using a mixture of brass, copper and silver metals in my pieces.

My rolling mill is sat doing sod all and would like to put it to use and texture some of my components before assembly.

Q: what do you guys suggest to texture my pieces? (Some photos of textured metal end results would be amazing!)

I have some texture plates made from plastic which I use for PMC

Q: could I use these in my rolling mill or will they die after a few passes?

Q: anyone tried to texture with embossed card?

Q: How about stencils? Do they work?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There is so much to say, but I will try to be brief. First of all experiment with small sqares of copper sheet and record on them what was used.
    Next use annealed metal and only moderate pressure. You should not need to put your shoulder to the wheel, so to speak.

My favourite material for texturing would be scraps of thin fabric, from net curtaining to the stuff cross stitch embroidery is done on. Most things you use will be trashed after one pass, so once you have some favourites, you need to haunt fabric departments in stores, for remnants, or buy the minimum quantity which is usually 10cm.

If you double the fabric over the metal and lead with the closed part, you will print both sides together and be able to choose the best side. As a bonus this causes the metal to remain perfectly flat.

If you dont like what you have done, give it a second pass with new material, possibly at an angle to the first. This will give you a completely new effect.

If using a texturing material which might harm the rollers, such as sand paper, or steel grids, you must wrap the whole thing in a protective cover of paper first. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lebb London Eye brooch.jpg   ml Modern London Brooch.jpg  

The plastic will die, but experimenting is fun.
    I regularly use material, leaf skeletons, any dried plant material, thread, paper, card, feathers, snake and lizard skin (shed by my reptilian chums), anything! Even differebt tapes make subtle textures. Here are some of the above.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1472496795383.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	9326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1472496700367.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	9328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1472496661704.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	9329
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1472496635036.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	9325
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1472496732557.jpg  
    Last edited by LydiaNiz; 29-08-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Oooh Lydia,

please tell me what kind of feather you used for that. I have had absolutely no luck at all with feathers, they never come out well at all for me. Also, great to see your reptilian texture too, I've never seen that done before.

Sue.

It was from one of our chickens!
    On the reptile skin front you have to be very careful as some of them have really 'orrible bacteria! Need some tlc before use. Bearded dragon skin is nice too (this is not a nice pendant but the texture is!) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1472496873940.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	9330

That's a really gorgeous texture, its beautiful. I don't know any snakes or lizards but really like the idea that you're using the skins and feathers of the animals in your family - their sort of thank you to you for you looking after them! I'll have a go with hen feathers and see if I'm any more successful with them. Thanks
    Sue

Wow! They're just gorgeous!

Q: Nail art stamps plates? I have a few of them from my nail art era?

Thanks Denis! Thats loads of useful tips! Thank you

Great photos!
    Can I butt in and ask how you avoid the solder going over the texture when soldering a bezel on?