Thread: help with a new silver wire for rings

Default help with a new silver wire for rings

just got some new wire which is twisted it is made of 3 wires together the problem is how do i hide the joint with 3 components ? I have had a go at a ring but the joint is so obvious i got every thing lined up i do not have a photo of the joint here right now but do of the ring top .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8260247.jpg  

Yes you can be lucky and find that the join matches, or you can make the ring slightly smaller until the ends match, solder it and then stretch it to size

For this you need an upright ring stretcher, but for some of us it is a routine way of avoiding the hammer and achieving an accurate result. If annealed a ring can be gradually enlarged by at least two sizes, if necessary. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r Upright Ring Stretcher.jpg  

Thank you Dennis the problem is how to solder it so the joint doesn't show it stands out like a sore thumb ?

Make sure you only use the tiniest bit of solder, and try to dissuade the solder from flowing over the metal - you only want it in the joint.

To do this you have to make the environment of the ring shank hostile for the solder. Perhaps heat up the metal to form some oxides, then when cool (don't use acid) file or buff the edges to be joined only. Also only flux on the now clean edges. Solder hates to flow on dirty metal so hopefully should not flow along the wire. You could even try sweat soldering onto one of the edges with the ends not lined up, then line them up for the solder. That way the solder never even has to sit on the dirty bit of metal.

For the lining up as well as getting lucky (!) or making ring small then sizing up, you can also gently twist the wire a little further to meet the other side.

As Maree has said, take longer fidgeting with it and you will succeed. You can also solder a narrow strip or wire over the joint to hide your shame.

Once you are into bezel mounted stones, you can solder the bezel over the joint. Dennis.

Brilliant thank you guys for your help with this