Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about swage blocks

Default Question about swage blocks

Hi there, I'm sorry to come in on this thread like this but for some reason I can never work out how to post a new thread.
    I have two questions -
    1. How do I post a new thread - it's probably that I'm missing something obvious. In the past I think I have found out by chance and I ought to write it down because it takes me ages to find it again!
    2. Can any one tell me what the tool is called for bending metal round into a tube shape please. I don't mean a draw plate but something I can use to make a rough tube by hammering. I want to make tube and then shape it into bangles and rings. Any hints most welcome!
    Thank you all.

Thank you whoever titled my question 'Question about swage blocks' or did that happen spookily by itself? Anyway that answers my question! Still grateful for any hints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Thank you whoever titled my question 'Question about swage blocks' or did that happen spookily by itself? Anyway that answers my question! Still grateful for any hints.
    These are Cookson's swage blocks;http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true I have an old one similar to the 10 groove middle of the page model. I also have a selection of lengths of steel rods of different thicknesses, which I use as the tube former, hitting it with a rawhide mallet while the sheet metal is in the swage block when making tube lengths. I bought my stock of various thicknesses of steel rods from a Model engineers exhibition, these countrywide exhibitions are a great place to buy metals and tools. Just Google; model engineers exhibitions 2016 and you will get a list of events if you are interested.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    No, not magic. Not even sufficiently advanced technology. I pruned your post from the original and moved it here. The way to post a new thread is to go to the forum area where you want to post - in this case, it's http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31 and click on "Post New Thread" in the upper LHS.

Thank you very much Peter!
    I still believe in fairies....

Thank you James,
    That is very helpful as always. I am hoping to make tube and then form it into bangles/rings without ruining the tube shape.

Lily,
    This is a really difficult thing to do and most of us would shirk it, opting for solid wire.

First you have to swage the sheet into a tube with a neat seam and solder it. The you will need to draw it down to make it perfectly round. Why do that when you can buy much better seamless tubing ready made?

Next you have to fill the tube with something to stop it collapsing when bending it. It can be done, but you'll trash a few before you get it right. You would certainly be advised to practice with copper first.

You get a surprising amount of solid round wire for your money an it is relatively easy to work with. The only problem frequently encountered by beginners, is that for bangles they do not have a hot enough torch. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-08-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Lily,
    I forgot to mention that I buy lengths of silversteel rods from EKP Supplies, silversteel can be hardened and tempered and is great for making texturing punches, chasing tools, also are good for winding jump rings and shaping tubes see; https://ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html

They also sell stock metal packs that are useful for making tools etc. see; https://ekpsupplies.com/metal-stock-packs.html

I am sure if you check through there website, like me you will find many useful items, I also buy my drills and threading equipment from EKP and copper sheet for making patterns; https://ekpsupplies.com/copper-sheet.html

James

James

Thank you Dennis,
    I agree - it may well be too difficult. I have made quite a few bangles and rings with solid wire but this is something new for me. I had been looking at seeds lined up in pods and have been figuring out ways to do something like this by having part of the tube open (to accommodate the 'seeds') and the rest closed. I don't mind if it's a bit rough or organic looking but I can imagine getting quite frustrated about it all. Perhaps I need to rethink my design.

Thank you very much James! A wealth of information there - I have not come across EKP supplies before - very kind of you to do all the links.