Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum issues

Default Forum issues

Hello,
    I know James has kindly messaged about my issues, but I cannot log in unless I am using an incognito window, or I clear my cookies each and every time I log in! Once I make one post, I either need to clear cookies,or open a new incognito window. Any clues? This is true whether I'm using my phone, tablet or PC (means I'm even quieter than usual)

Hey Lydia,

I expect it'd help folks to diagnose the problem to know a bit more - like do you use the same browser on all your devices, does it still happen if you try a different browser, and maybe when it started, do you remember changing anything at that time, like updating software or anything like that? Does look like there's a recurring login problem that some people get with Chrome for some websites - but equally it might not be that.

Faith

Hi Lydia,
    It seems as if you have accidentally changed your settings and you need to restore to factory default. If changing to another browser does not work, then for windows, you might look here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...CaTS8AewwLLYDg and choose an option that will keep you data. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-08-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Hi Lydia and Dennis,
    I worry a full operating system reset would really be a last resort, and without isolating the issue more is quite a risk, not to mention quite an inconvenience, without being sure that'd fix it.

I'd try some different browsers first and go from there. Also maybe let us know what OSs are running on your computer, tablet and phone.

In both cases your work around seems to be about cookies too, either deleting them or opening your incognito tab - which creates a clean sandbox with no cookies in it I think. So that's a clue, not that it's clear what it means yet...

Faith

I have also been having problems logging in - or even reading the forums using Chrome. I used to use the Facebook login.

I worked out yesterday that I could use Microsoft Edge and log in with my original password. Thankfully I remembered it as I couldn't seem to even see a password reset option.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago, and I can't remember if I had successfully logged onto the forum soon after the upgrade so I don't know if this is my problem.

From reading about similar issues on the 'World of Tanks' forum - a google find not a random second hobby! - are you asking your browser to remember the password? It seems some people have had problems doing that with some sites and some browsers and that it you log in manually each time (while a slight pain) you'll stay logged in between postings and page clicks etc.

Faith

I have been doing some background on this Lydia, and it still seems weird. The fact that it happens on *every* device makes me think that it's neither (any of) your browsers, nor is it likely to be the forum sw (although it'd be difficult to say no-one else has that problem as they can't log in) - I still think the problem exists between your devices and Cooksons' servers, so either your router or one of your ISP's routers.

I've been trying to find any references to similar issues and whether or not your ISP is doing any traffic modification - ad injection, anything like that - but given Rob is using the same ISP I'm back to the suspicion of it being a router in your path rather than a systemic issue. Not conclusive and an absolute sod to debug - I can't remember if I asked if any other fora were doing the same thing?

I had the same problem but have fixed it now. When joining originally, I used the 'sign in using facebook' option, and that is where the problem lay. I solved the problem by first removing all cookies from my Chrome Browser then by logging into my Facebook account, going to Settings and then Apps and then removing Cooksons Forum from the list of Logged in with Facebook apps. Then I returned to the Forum and logged in anew with my email address.

Thanks Paul - I'd not considered implications of FB logins (or realised that you could... Old school )

Thank you Paul - your fix has worked for me and I can now use Chrome (my normal browser) again!

I had forgotten to add to my post yesterday that I also had the problem on my android tablet - but this also would normally use the facebook login too. I haven't yet checked whether this works now but I suspect it will.