Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd shaped rings

Default Odd shaped rings

My sister-in-law has commissioned me to make a plain ring for her, but wants the shank made like a threepenny bit, with twelve sides, she isnt sure if she wants silver or gold but i am panicking big time as I am not sure how to go about it. Help needed please.......

Either notch, fold & solder or file facets onto a rectangular cross-section ring?

Thats what I was going to do, cut facets out of a square wire, but twelve will be tricky as the sides will have to measure the same. I wondered about printing an image of a threepenny piece and making it a bit smaller. Npt sure if it will show up with that many facets on a smaller ring.

Hi Pat,
    The threepenny piece has twelve sides and they are quite small, so small errors won't show.

Because square wire is tricky to bend into a ring, I suggest you use 2.50mm round wire instead and once you have the correct size, rub the sides flat with sheets of abrasive paper on the bench.

Then print out the clock face below and join the long ticks so that you have twelve spokes. Centre your ring on it and mark out the twelve even spaces for the facets.

To file the facets I prefer to put the ring flat on my bench peg and holding the file by its end (not the handle), draw it downwards against the ring.

Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12x Circle Divider.JPG  

I have asked customer to measure her finger with string so she can tell me the exact size. I am still waiting (sister-in-law, so she isnt going anywhere!!!). That is a great help Dennis, I didnt think of doing it like a clockface, brilliant idea. I have dividers and compass etc so when she gives me the size I can get cracking. I have a show in Exmouth tomorrow in the Pavilion which we (my daughter and I) go to every month, but tomorrow I have to go on my own, bit scary. I know most of the other stallholders as they go every month but not looking forward to going on my own. Lack of self confidence on my part.

You'll be fine, Pat. What is unsettling for visitors is if the stall is manned by a friend who knows little about it. Good luck, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I will let you know how I get on.

Well, got the craft show out of the way. Sold £110 worth, which is more than we do most times. It looks as if I will be going on my own again but not so scary next time.

That should make you proud.

I lost a lot of confidence when I lost my eye, so anything that can build that up is good. Not shy or anything like that, in fact quite the opposite I will talk to anyone, but used to company when I do craft shows, and it seems strange when on my own, but I coped and enjoyed it, so will definately go again.