Thread: Stopping Patina and Dullness in Copper

Default Stopping Patina and Dullness in Copper

I've made a copper piece (soldered and scratch effect on top) which at first looked amazing, but the patina set in soon after.
    I have cleaned this using a lemon / salt solution and a course brush then applied Rennaissance Wax (sadly not worked with copper before so only just discovered this).

It still looked slightly dull but lighter but 3 days later, it is turning green round the edges and copper discolouration are now appearing.

Id hate to scrap this piece but I am unsure if I have done something wrong or not coated straight away.

Any advice please x

Yes copper is quick to tarnish and wax is useless to prevent it. Acrylic spray lacquer, such as Plasticote fares better: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-kote.../dp/B006XBT39Y

Some members swear by Everbrite Protectaclear, But I have not used it: http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/small...ting-151-p.asp

Much more disappointing is trying to preserve the patinas you get by applying heat to copper with a torch, because they disappear with wax and lacquer. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cl Copper Leaf Brooch 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-08-2016 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks so much Dennis, I'm learning new metals from books but never encountered this issue before and gave me a wee scare!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give these a go x

I've not known copper go green so quickly. I've been working on natural patina effects and cleaning with lemon juice will have caused the green so quickly I think. Although lemon and salt is a good cleaner for large areas of copper ware, I've found it leaves it quite dull and it then needs finished off with a copper cleaner or a wire brush if you already have a scratch finish. I've found that copper textured through a rolling mill doesn't tarnish at all and has stayed bright after months, I have then tried to oxidise it with little effect

I use the Protectaclear and would recommend it