Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New vessels

Quote Originally Posted by jlazz View Post
    I think the best way would be to set the base as in A but sometimes I cant do this so I fiton as in B but when I file and finish I end up with a slight rounded bottom edge C ?
    btw what is ( support req over the feedback, mea culpa) is this a advice page on this fourm ? - just joined a few weeks ago - thanks Jake
    Nothing much more to add than has been said already - B, but keep the file level with the sides so the base ends up at the same angle as them. Doesn't matter if you touch the sides a little, a couple of scrapes will sand/buff out. It'd be nice if you could file to a scribe line on the underside, but getting the alignment spot on would be problematic.

Or D, raise them from flat sheet and use a sharp-edged stake to put the bottom creases in

My parenthetical comment just referred to the fact that I ought to give feedback more in posts rather than just dealing with the technical part of the query.

Jake, before I make any suggestions, can you give me an idea of the sizes of your vessels?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Jake, before I make any suggestions, can you give me an idea of the sizes of your vessels?
    Hi Goldsmith the tallest one is about 7" H X L 3.5"X W 1 " and the rest are about 5" tall some of them are not that problematic as they have flat sides which I can use a flat plate with abrasive paper - but I still need to get the bottom edge flat with no rounding with some of the less flat forms - Thanks for you input - Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I suspect your assessment is correct, Faith. Dennis refers to the same thing when he says the buff stick "must be applied at the correct angle."

I've encountered this problem myself when making cabochon bezels surrounded by rope twist decoration. There's a tendency when you're filing the base of the bezel back to the perimeter of the rope twist to lean the file/buff stick away from the rope twist to avoid catching it and putting flat spots on the round wire. But then you end up with a bezel base that is slightly bevel-edged, which isn't the look you want.

The secret to success in your case, jlazz, is the theoretically simple, but in practice angst-inducing, one of keeping the file or buff stick perfectly perpendicular to the vertical side (judging by the shape of some of your vessels, what's perpendicular won't always be easy to tell) and to go dead slow with only very fine abrasive once you're getting close to the critical point.

Or to go with option A and experience angst of a different kind.
    Thanks Aurarius

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Nothing much more to add than has been said already - B, but keep the file level with the sides so the base ends up at the same angle as them. Doesn't matter if you touch the sides a little, a couple of scrapes will sand/buff out. It'd be nice if you could file to a scribe line on the underside, but getting the alignment spot on would be problematic.

Or D, raise them from flat sheet and use a sharp-edged stake to put the bottom creases in

My parenthetical comment just referred to the fact that I ought to give feedback more in posts rather than just dealing with the technical part of the query.
    Thanks Peter

Reminds me of the Normandy jug designs. Always liked sloping vessels.