Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close shaves - what are yours?

Default Close shaves - what are yours?

Yesterday I had just laid out silver and gold to make a pair of wedding bands, for a *very* last minute commission. It had to be finished by last night so I could get it rush hallmarked in time for the big day.
    Just as I was about to start forming the rings I got a message, asking me to change the design to reticulated bands with random gold. I did some deep breathing (not a fan of unexpected changes in plan), but I really like how they turned out. Luckily, as this was my very last 18ct. Have you had any last minute close shaves?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14017903_10154239775240469_1868550327_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	9209

A really beautiful combination of black and gold, Lydia.
    My problem is that when the end is in sight, I think of some new twist which is likely to add hours of work. Dennis.

ahh yes! I have ended up destroying quite a few pieces right at the end, with an "I wonder if I could just..." and the answer inevitably being, no, I couldn't.

It's always the rush jobs. "Simple" stonesetting jobs that need to be back in a silly amount of time, then you find that neither the stones nor the settings are adequate.

The other week I had a request on Sunday to make a pair of cufflinks (silver) and set them with some antique/sentimental coins. For the Friday morning. I could have just about done it, including ordering materials - sub 7.78g, so no hallmark needed - so I quoted for it as a rush job (double time).

"Ooh, we didn't want to pay that much"... Well, if you can give me a more sensible amount of notice for when you need it I'll quote accordingly. Now, cheap, right - pick 2.

Those are very funky!

My worst was probably a pendant I made for a friend and planned to give her on her birthday.
    I had it made ready a couple of days before but the day before I decided I just had to fiddle with the setting as I wasn't happy with it and er, broke the emerald !
    Had to stay up all night making a new one lol.
    I was, however, much happier with the new one so glad I did.

Gorgeous rings Lydia.

If I'm doing something in a rush, I invariable take a chunk out of it at the final polish by slipping with the pendant motor! Or set a stone wonky, that happens a lot too.

Lovely work on those rings.

My own most recent close call jewellery wise was a pair of engraved aluminium bracelets that had to be done for last Christmas. No great stress in the end but that's only because everything worked first time. Don't really like relying on that...

The next close call will be some motorcycle parts that need to be finished and delivered tomorrow morning, so on that note I'm off to bed. Night all.

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

If you want horror stories, just ask any hand engraver. It seems the bigger and more expensive the job, the more likely it is for the client to get a name or date wrong.

Funnily enough, I often find that the pieces I make under pressure often turn out to be some of my favourite...

They turned out great.
    Last edited by Carter; 04-10-2016 at 07:47 AM.