Thread: Close shaves - what are yours?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Close shaves - what are yours?

Yesterday I had just laid out silver and gold to make a pair of wedding bands, for a *very* last minute commission. It had to be finished by last night so I could get it rush hallmarked in time for the big day.
    Just as I was about to start forming the rings I got a message, asking me to change the design to reticulated bands with random gold. I did some deep breathing (not a fan of unexpected changes in plan), but I really like how they turned out. Luckily, as this was my very last 18ct. Have you had any last minute close shaves?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14017903_10154239775240469_1868550327_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	9209

A really beautiful combination of black and gold, Lydia.
    My problem is that when the end is in sight, I think of some new twist which is likely to add hours of work. Dennis.

ahh yes! I have ended up destroying quite a few pieces right at the end, with an "I wonder if I could just..." and the answer inevitably being, no, I couldn't.

It's always the rush jobs. "Simple" stonesetting jobs that need to be back in a silly amount of time, then you find that neither the stones nor the settings are adequate.

The other week I had a request on Sunday to make a pair of cufflinks (silver) and set them with some antique/sentimental coins. For the Friday morning. I could have just about done it, including ordering materials - sub 7.78g, so no hallmark needed - so I quoted for it as a rush job (double time).

"Ooh, we didn't want to pay that much"... Well, if you can give me a more sensible amount of notice for when you need it I'll quote accordingly. Now, cheap, right - pick 2.

Those are very funky!

My worst was probably a pendant I made for a friend and planned to give her on her birthday.
    I had it made ready a couple of days before but the day before I decided I just had to fiddle with the setting as I wasn't happy with it and er, broke the emerald !
    Had to stay up all night making a new one lol.
    I was, however, much happier with the new one so glad I did.

Gorgeous rings Lydia.

If I'm doing something in a rush, I invariable take a chunk out of it at the final polish by slipping with the pendant motor! Or set a stone wonky, that happens a lot too.