Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing motor recommendation and advice

Got my disks and am enjoying using them. Any idea how long they last before I have to change them?

Hello, these are your new little radial disks yes? Glad you like em

Dennis would know for sure, but my guess would be that you don't need to change them unless they drop to bits or get too worn down and miniature to use. That deduction is based on two things, firstly "the abrasive is integrated into the bristles" which makes me think the abrasive is all the way through, not just on the surface, secondly Dennis once advised me to keep worn down smaller ones for polishing the inside of rings. I haven't worn mine down enough yet - but not for lack of trying!

Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Littlewhitefeathers View Post
    Got my disks and am enjoying using them. Any idea how long they last before I have to change them?
    'Till you are in danger of marking your work with the screw is the short answer. If you run a few concurrently and at moderate speed they will go on for a year or two. Dennis.

Yes, the radial disks
    I got yellow, blue and green. That's great then, will just use them till they wear down!

When you can afford one, I'd be buying a bench polisher for items as large as cuffs. It's like night and day in terms of finish and time spent. You get fairly reasonably priced double spindle units now

I make a lot of cuffs and bangles and still haven't got a bench polisher, does it save a lot of time then?
    I currently use the rubber silicone Everflex from blue through to green and like the finish they give.
    What would be the equivalent attachments for a polishing motor please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I make a lot of cuffs and bangles and still haven't got a bench polisher, does it save a lot of time then?
    I currently use the rubber silicone Everflex from blue through to green and like the finish they give.
    What would be the equivalent attachments for a polishing motor please?

Thanks
    I've never had anything but Sarah but I would say yes purely because it covers a greater area with more force and I would think more evenly.if you are making a lot then I would think it would be cost effective. I only got a foredom micromotor for my Xmas and have only used it for more fiddly jobs so far but wouldn't contemplate for my cuffs. I started with a double spindle 1/2 HP motor nearly 40 years ago and eventually when I could afford it I got a dustmaster because I needed to get rid of the dust. There are now all sorts of smaller units available.
    Not sure about an equivalent for those mops as I use mainly bristle for the first polish and then calico then wool but I recently bought the synthetic suede mops that everyone was going on about a while back and I see cookies are doing smaller ones now which are easier to handle.
    Hope this helps