Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: propane

From the look of things, though many suppliers sell the Orca with the manufacturer's hose, Walsh's at least don't, but rather with a hose with a different fitting on the tank end, which presumably is meant to screw directly on to the gas tanks they envisage you'd want to use. What kind of gas tanks these are I don't know. Possibly it was Walsh's that you bought the torch from. Considering the customer service you received, it might be helpful if you divulged where you got the torch. There's certainly no law against doing so.

You can see here what the standard set-up (for disposable tanks, at any rate) including hose looks like as supplied by the manufacturers:
    http://www.ikohe.com/catalog/EZTorch_instruction.pdf
    You'll notice that the thing I referred to earlier as a regulator isn't really a regulator at all; all it is is a connector and flow control knob.

I do use an Orca myself and am very pleased with it on the whole. I've made one adaptation, which is that I've inserted a spring in front of the threaded air adjustment ring because there was a tendency on my torch for the ring to self-rotate when I was in the middle of a soldering job and alter the air flow at a critical moment. The spring keeps the air flow exactly where I set it when I began soldering. Perhaps not all air adjustment rings rotate quite so freely as mine did and are better at staying put without the need of a spring.

I haven't used the torch for casting, so I'm not sure how it would perform there. Presumably a torch with a separate oxygen intake would be a better bet for melting/casting, especially of larger items.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 10-08-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Hi Aurarius.

thanks for all your help with this. I had a look at the instructions you posted. The fittings on the hose are totally different.

the instructions with my torch where also in spanish.

I bought the torch from a jewellery supplies shop in Dublin, Dix is the name of the shop.

I would normally return something like this, but it is 8 months since i bought it, and had a chance to try and use it. ( house move in the process )

Tonight i used the torch for roughly 30-40 minutes. I found the same problem with oxygen valve slipping during soldering.
    I tried casting, and while it works well for small amounts of metal, it doesn't reach hot enough temps for higher amounts of silver.

I might just let this go, because it has been a nightmare from the purchase and chasing around for parts for it.
    Will just put it down to a bad experience and shop elsewhere.

Tomorrow i plan to go to the hardware shop, and see if there is anything i can buy to secure the hose to the propane tank in a safer way.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Eamon

I think the real problem is that you haven't been supplied with the right kit for use with portable cannisters. You should have an adapter that looks like this

and what you've been given is for a full size propane tank - and perhaps not an original EZ component at that.

I get my EZ bits from Betts (formerly Sutton Tools) and they're always very helpful on this. I keep one hose with each type of adapter to hand as I use my EZ on both full size cylinder and disposable cannister - though I also use MAPP rather than ordinary propane as I find it burns hotter and cleaner.

As for the freezing up - that's normal for continuous use, and shouldn't cause any problems - other than the odd drip on the workbench! You can wrap them in a little blanket made from a teatowel, or even stand in a bowl of warm water, but I've never noticed any significant drop in performance. If you find you're using the torch for extended times, though, it's worth going for a big (at least 6k) cylinder rather than the cannisters, as you'll find they run out far too quickly (and expensively!)

Hi Mizgeorge,

Thanks for reply.

I think the fitting he supplied me with, maybe from another country, as i did try it with a full size propane tank/ regulator and it didn't fit that either.

I went and bought the adapter you imaged in your post, i think it was you who recommended where to get it, a couple of months ago. so thanks for that.

If the frost is safe enough then ill keep an eye on how long i'm using it for.

Thanks for the tips on the tank, and Mapp maybe we the way to go.
    thanks
    eamon

Since the only thing you seem to be missing is the correct hose, if I were you, Eamon, I'd get in touch with Suttons/Betts and just ask them to supply one standard Orca hose. Then follow this video and all should be well:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YTN1av5Y4

hi
    Thanks, I will have talk to the guys in Suttons/betts, about a hose. That's where i bought the valve,
    and hopefully that helps with the problem.
    Thanks for all your help )
    Eamon

Hi Guys,

need a little assistance.

I bought a new disposable propane tank today for the Orca torch.

I set it up, and it's firing up ok. But after a couple of minutes after igniting the flame. It starts to spurt and hiss. I initially thought maybe its air in the house, so i let it run for about 5 minutes. But the flame doesn't settle down at all.
    When i tried to change to another tip, I notice a yellow residue ( slime building up) on the inside of the tip. That wasn't there with the last propane tank.

Any ideas what might be the cause of this? Would the gas be the wrong type for torch? It says Propane Calor Gas on the bottle.

Thanks for any help
    Eamon

Here are some photos of the new propane tank and the orca torch tips with the residue.

The residue comes after 1-2 minutes use, then the torch starts to splutter, a high orange flame......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	9200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	9201

You often get spluttering if you overfill a refillable torch. This can't apply in your case, unless possibly the tank you bought is for some reason over-full.

You need to clean all your burner tips for a start (an ultrasonic would do it) to get rid of all that residue. Then use your biggest burner and open the valve a very slight amount at first and see if you can get a stable flame. It might take a few goes and repeated cleaning until things settle down.

I had the same problem for a while with my Orca and concluded that it might be because I was allowing the head of the torch to point downwards (right down to the ground, in fact) when I was not using it. I think combustion waste products may have been running down the hose and congealing at the head of the hose and in the burners. If you're not doing it already, try and keep your torch head higher than the rest of your hose at all times when the torch is not in use but you still have it connected to the gas bottle.

I can't see what brand that propane is. Could you possibly buy another bottle the same as your previous one and see if the problem goes away? At least if it didn't you'd know the problem was less likely to be the gas.

Have you bought the genuine Orca hose yet? I would.

Hi Aurarius,

Thanks for your reply.

I hope to buy a replacement hose in a week or two and going to replace the largest tip as it doesn't work fully. ( feels like half a jet instead of a full jet when lighting )

After I wrote the email I went and cleaned the tips in dishwashing liquid, and emptied the hose out of all residue gas and air.

It seemed to work a lot better after that. Less sputtering.

I am trying to melt some sterling silver scrap, but unfortunately cannot get enough heat to pour into ingot mould. I am still fairly a novice with jewellery making and buying tools as I go. I hope to one day buy a smith little torch. but at present the orca will do. It is a pretty good torch for soldering. Before this I was using two small torches, a dremel versaflame and a creme brulee torch combined.

I have seen videos on youtube of people casting with the Orca. Maybe with a little practice I can get the silver to flowing temps.

Do you disconnect your hose from the bottle after use? or is it ok to leave it connected.
    I work from home, and I'm worried fumes would leak?

For now I move the torch and bottle disconnected to the shed at night.

Thanks again
    Eamon