Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: propane

Default propane

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Orca Torch ( EZ Torch)

I started to use it today for the first time with a disposable propane tank.

I set it up ok, but I am noticing after 10-15 minutes use, the Hose feels wet and freezing. I have checked the connections for leaks with soapy water and everything seems ok.

Is this a bad sign?

Any help would be much appreciated as don't want to blow up the house.

Thanks
    Eamon

Can you show us a picture or two of your torch set-up, and ideally a close-up of the hose when it feels wet and freezing?

Hi

Here are 2 photos of set up

thanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	orca hose.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	9193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orca set up.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	9194

I don't know what things look like at the torch end of yours because you've not pictured it, but I can tell you the hose to regulator connection shown is non-standard. Instead of a hose clip there should be a gold coloured nut, one end of which is already inserted into the hose and the other end of which inserts into the regulator. Have you removed any fitting/s from the hose as supplied? If not, where did you get this torch from? And did it come with the hose clip?

Hi

Sorry, here are some more photos. The torch came with a fitting that did not fit any of the propane tanks. so i cut it off, and bought a plumbing fitting to tighten the hose on to the top part ( ez valve for disposable cylinders) .

I contacted the supplier of the torch and he was very unhelpful. so i decided to buy a valve and try and fit it myself.

The torch works, but after 10- 15 minutes of use, the hose starts to feel wet near the valve. I'm worried it might be propane.

Thanks for any help or advice offered.
    Eamon

sorry forgot to attach the photos to last post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	9195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	9196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	9197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	9198

Quote Originally Posted by eamon View Post
    Hi

Sorry, here are some more photos. The torch came with a fitting that did not fit any of the propane tanks. so i cut it off, and bought a plumbing fitting to tighten the hose on to the top part ( ez valve for disposable cylinders) .

I contacted the supplier of the torch and he was very unhelpful. so i decided to buy a valve and try and fit it myself.

The torch works, but after 10- 15 minutes of use, the hose starts to feel wet near the valve. I'm worried it might be propane.

Thanks for any help or advice offered.
    Eamon
    The further photos haven't appeared, unfortunately. (ETA: they have now)

Without knowing what fitting the torch came to you with I'm of course unsure what you've cut off, but a standard Orca/EZ hose fitting will screw on to the regulator you have there without any difficulty, so there should have been no need to cut anything off - assuming the torch had not been messed with by the person you got it from.

You refer to the supplier as "he". Are you saying that you bought the torch from a private individual, and secondhand perhaps?

Personally, for safety reasons, I wouldn't want to use your torch as it is, even if you hadn't told me about the worrying symptoms it's displaying.

There are several videos around showing how to set up your torch. Here's one of them:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HtY-BxxFTc

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

photo no 4 shows the piece i cut off.

I bought the torch from a jewellery tools supply store.

The fitting that was on the hose definitely did not fit any tanks, either a disposable one or a standard propane tank. this is when i tried to ask the supplier what i was doing wrong, and he told me it should fit.

anyway, not to worry. it seems to be working ok, and i am checking as i go if there any leaks appearing and so far everything is ok ( no bubbles)

Have you used this torch yourself?

how do you find it for melting silver, casting???