Thread: LJS recruiting jewellery tutors

Default LJS recruiting jewellery tutors

Hi all,

Some years ago I did a couple of silversmithing courses at London Jewellery School, and they are advertising for new jewellery tutors at their Hatton Garden premises. Not sure how far their social media reach goes, so thought I'd share here!
    I haven't made enough posts to share links, though have lurked on here for a couple of years: you'll need to get there by Google!

It would be interesting to know what qualifications they are looking for. Don't lurk any more, Taz. Everyone has something interesting to say. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I do keep considering introducing myself, but am hoping to produce something I feel ready to share first. Was hoping it would be some jewellery rather than a news item though! Currently working on a his & hers wedding gift, so maybe I'll be back to show you all that, if it goes well!
    As far as the job goes, they offer many different courses, including business-related ones, and I get the impression that they want to broaden their roster of tutors in general; they haven't specified qualifications, but the 2 tutors I had were well-established independent jewellers who had come by the art school route.
    LJS has moved premises since I was there, but it's a lovely facility. My intermediate course only had 2 students, so we got plenty of support and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It would be interesting to know what qualifications they are looking for.
    It would be interesting also to know what they're paying. If they only pay peanuts they may only get monkeys.

This is the link that keeps appearing on my Facebook feed. Hopefully you can all see it (fingers crossed);

https://www.facebook.com/londonjewel...type=3&theater

Bit more info (including pay rates) here. Says teaching experience not completely necessary.

I keep getting told I'd be a good teacher, but definitely not confident enough in my ability to teach jewellery making! http://www.londonjewelleryschool.co....ampaign=buffer

So £110 for 7 hours teaching, excluding lesson prep, setup and teardown. Working lunch presumably if it's spent with the students. £15.71 per hour day or £20 evening (again, for just the teaching time). No idea what the teaching ratio is either. For this they seem to expect experienced, competent freelance individuals.

Aurarius' comment seems apposite.

When I was teaching web and computer skills in adult ed - nearly twenty years ago now - the tutor rate was about £16 an hour for teaching, to allow for course development, classroom setup and the other out of hours bits. And that was PAYE, rather than freelance - which would have paid more to cover NI, etc. So the rates quoted definitely seem low now.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    So £110 for 7 hours teaching, excluding lesson prep, setup and teardown. Working lunch presumably if it's spent with the students. £15.71 per hour day or £20 evening (again, for just the teaching time). No idea what the teaching ratio is either. For this they seem to expect experienced, competent freelance individuals.

Aurarius' comment seems apposite.