Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumble polishers

Default Tumble polishers

Hi everyone - I am looking for some advice from you experts out there re tumblers. I would love to buy one - have some birthday and Christmas money that I'm itching to spend, and as its almost Birthday time again, I might collect some more. The thing I really want to spend it on is a tumbler but don't know the first thing about using or buying one. I trust that they all come with very clear, easy to follow instructions. Are the rubber drum machines any better in terms of the finish they give pieces than plastic, I know they are quiteter but that's about it. Do I need to have any particular place to work it, or can you use them anywhere. I have only a small kitchen and the spare room is a bit cluttered with beading and picture framing goodies - do you need a large space to work it?

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated
    Many thanks

Bev

Hi Bev, i have just taken delivery of a tumbler (got the missing barrel this morning) and i got a Lortone 3a as it seemed to get some positive reviews here. But as i have not had a chance to use it yet, thats as far as my experience goes, so i will leave you in the capable hands of my fellow cookies
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Bev,

There are loads of threads about this already.

I've attached a link to one of them here, if you don't find the info you are looking for, have a search on the forum, as you'll find tons more info.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jew...polishing.html

Happy reading!

Love
    Jules x

They don't need a lot of space - not that big! You might want to put it on a tray just in case it leaks, but otherwise it's a small motor with a drum... Noise will probably be the main consideration

Yep they're pretty noisy things, the shot makes a huge difference get one with the little pins is as they really get in the nooks and crannies. Mines got a clear barrel which I find very useful when trying to find stuff
    nicx
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Jules - thanks for posting the thread - really great info, will do a search also.

Nic - I didn't think about finding stuff after being polished, you can see I need lots more info!!

Another question, if you have made something with swarovski crystals - can these be put into the tumbler. As for semi-precious stones, i'm aware that you wont be able to add porous ones, but are the others OK to include. Sorry if questions seem really silly!

Bev

It's OK to put plain crystals in the tumbler, but not any with a coating (AB, Vitrail etc), as this will be damaged by the action.

Stones are fine as long as they aren't friable or porous, and have a hardness of over 5.5 on the mohs scale, ie harder than stainless steel. Typically, I would avoid anything like turquoise, emerald, kyanite, apatite, fluourite and some feldspars (including good quality labradorite, though I don't worry about cheap beads), as well as pearls or other organics.

No question is silly - I wish I'd known before I tumbled some turquoise

While I remember, here's my top tip for the day!

If you use stainless steel shot, the easiest way to sort your shot from your silver is to use a magnet. Preferably a nice big one. It will pick up the shot, but not the silver (unless you've tumbled something like a clasp with a steel spring).

This is especially useful if you've tumbled lots of little things like jump rings without wiring them together first!

If you use stainless steel shot, the easiest way to sort your shot from your silver is to use a magnet. Preferably a nice big one. It will pick up the shot, but not the silver (unless you've tumbled something like a clasp with a steel spring).

Great tip, George
    It seems really obvious when pointed out - there's lots that I just wouldn't think of!! Just need to buy a tumbler and give it a go. Thanks too for info re stones.

Bev

Quote Originally Posted by MuranoSilver View Post
    Yep they're pretty noisy things, the shot makes a huge difference get one with the little pins is as they really get in the nooks and crannies.
    nicx
    I'd say that the pins are a nightmare depending on what you are making! Previously I have done a lot of wire work and chainmail and the pins get trapped everywhere and are a total pain. I took all the pins out of my shot, and it's much easier for me now.
    Lucinda