Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do people keep pickle in? Other than a pickle pot...

I hunted round for a 1 person slow cooker I remember from years ago... Finally found one at a general auction for £3. I took the wire off a small ikea kilner type jar and put that in the slow cooker... The lid sits safely on the top of the kilner jar reducing evaporation.... And the crock pot lid fits over the lot.... £4 all in... 😊 option 2 was to look for baby bottle warmer... I guess it depends what the largest size you need to pickle is?

Another potential option is a tefal le saucier . Probably find one at a car boot... They had thermostatic controls so your sauces don't boil....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1711; 01-09-2016 at 03:38 PM.

I use a Pyrex butter dish, the rectangular sort that takes a 250g block of butter. I got 2 of them at a car boot sale, one for acid and one for water rinse. Battery acid works great cold but do not splash on jeans or you will have a hole !
    Ken

I have a plastic thing with a clip sealing lid:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pickle-pot.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	9622
    I thought it would melt when stuff goes in it - but it doesn't - and I never bother heating it - still works well enough, and takes up minimal space on the bench top.
    Sally

I use a jam jar with a glass disc on top, and a baby bottle warmer to heat it in.

I also use an old slow cooker that I have . Find that it works really well .

Another one here who uses an old slow cooker. Just use a pyrex jug for clean water.

I use shower caps (collected from hotel stays) over the top of the jug and the slow cooker to help prevent evaporation. Just need to make sure the slow cooker has cooled down first though.

Jam jar with plastic lid set over a 6 hr tea light, it lasts most of my working day, I don't have to think about another piece of electricity, especially as I'm solar powered and need all I can get at the mo.
    Poor old Les

Useful thread, I'm new to metalwork and just working out what I need to set up a small workbench. From reading around I'd gathered that metal pots are bad and ceramic is good. I'd also figured that glass would probably be suitable though obviously more breakable so the pyrex suggestion seems a good one.
    I think I'm probably going to try and find one of those mini ceramic or glass casserole dishes with a lid as I see them pretty often in charity & vintage shops and they'll be a bit more robust than a jamjar.

I've used a ceramic one person slow cooker for years without a problem even when it boiled dry on one occasion but the lid rattling usually reminds me I use alum powder available in bulk from Amazon under foodstuffs
    Last edited by CJ57; 02-02-2018 at 08:53 PM.

I use an old coffee machine now with a pyrex bowl on it.
    I use the safety pickle from Cooksons