Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people keep pickle in? Other than a pickle pot...

Default What do people keep pickle in? Other than a pickle pot...

Hello,

Possibly a slightly random question, but does anyone have any good suggestions about what to keep pickle in, other than one of those quite pricy heated pickle pots - it also needs to be microwaveable.

For reference I use an organic pickle, specifically a salt and white vinegar solution. It works fine for me, and I can heat it in the microwave as it is basically made from food. I have been keeping it in jam jars, the glass part being fine to microwave, but it does eat through the metal lids at quite a rate. Getting bored of replacing jam jars I'm wondering if anyone's got a better alternative?

Ta very much,
    Faith

I use a very cheap, small slow cooker - perfect for keeping it warm when working. All I needed to do was tape the metal bits round the edge of the lid. It has worked for several years so far.

A very cheap slow cooker is perfect. You get little ones for about £20 or less

I also use a slow cooker, but if you want something microwaveable have you tried using a jar from pickled onions or similar? I'm wondering if the lids on those would be more substantially coated as they are in contact with acid anyway?

Alternatively look at plastic bottles - for example HDPE (high density polyethylene) would be ok for low concentration acetic acid. You can get wide neck versions.

Agreed.The microwave method produces acid fumes, which are not good for you appliance either.

Argos for instance have cheap slow cookers, but I would recommend oval over round, so that it will take longer objects such as wires.

The only downside is that they are slow to heat up, but once ready can be left on all day. The solution need only be emptied when it is no longer effective.

I would also recommend you consider using alum solution, which is much more friendly than vinegar when heated. Dennis.

I use vinegar and salt too, and have a glass jar with a plastic lid - it might have contained gravy originally, or peanut butter... Quite a few things come in those type of jars though. I quite often don't bother heating the pickle though tbh; it's slower, but still gets the job done, and suits me as an occasional hobbyist

I use a ceramic pie dish and sit it outside in the sun in summer or on the Aga in winter.
    In between times are a bit annoying as I have to put it in a pan on the gas cooker on a really low setting and inevitably forget about it for ages….

I use an old Pyrex casserole dish and lid, heated on an old camping gas ring. I only heat the pickle up when I need to use it, I do not keep it hot all of the time, most jobs will pickle OK in my sulphuric acid based cold pickle.

James

This one is very similar to the one I have

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5226559.htm

Because I tend to make small items, I don't need much pickle so only have an inch or so in the bottom - this means that it doesn't take it long to heat up at all. Pop it on high for 10 mins and it is hot! I then change it to low for as long as I'm working.

A small square Pyrex casserole dish and lid with an inch or so of Alum solution, sitting on top of a desktop coffee mug warmer. Limited capacity, but usually adequate for me.