Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do people keep pickle in? Other than a pickle pot...

A cheap old £6.99 expresso coffee maker from Argos for me with a small heated baseplate. Has lasted for three years so far!

Nick

I use Alum in a saucepan that I only heat up when needed

I use a glass mason jar (closes securely! otherwise my stupid cat might try to drink from it), which I sometimes put work into cold, if I'm not in a hurry, and othertimes set it up like a bain-marie in a slow cooker which a friend donated. It's not a microwave-friendly solution though.

I use alum in a glass jar with plastic lid. I heat from beneath using tea lights on a tea warmer.
    Poor old Les

Thanks everyone, that's an amazing array of ideas I think i'll be a little sad to give up the convenience of the microwave - but its probably better in the long run to avoid breaking it - and there are a lot of suggestions here I'd never have thought of!

Thanks again
    Faith

Like many others I use a cheap and cheerful slow cooker. I'm thinking of investing in a plug in timer as I've lost count of the number of times it's dried out due to me forgetting to turn it off when I finish!
    Good idea about the oval one for longer items.

I'm another slow cooker fan and use a kitchen timer to remind me when to switch off my pickle pot. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a plug in timer, though, Tim as they can be quite dangerous not actually switching off the things they are supposed to. We used to have loads of them for our fishtanks, but got rid of them after hearing of a case where a family had used them for their house whilst on holiday and came back to a burnt out wreck!
    Jules

My slow cooker reminds me as the lid clatters when it starts to simmer, usually!

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I'm another slow cooker fan and use a kitchen timer to remind me when to switch off my pickle pot. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a plug in timer, though, Tim as they can be quite dangerous not actually switching off the things they are supposed to. We used to have loads of them for our fishtanks, but got rid of them after hearing of a case where a family had used them for their house whilst on holiday and came back to a burnt out wreck!
    Thanks Jules,
    I'll bear that in mind.
    I could use my phone as a timer but I'd probably forget to take it in my workshop and set it.
    Perhaps,I'll just get a cheap audible timer and keep it with the pickle pot so I wont forget.
    I religious about turning off gas and oxygen but for some reason I have a blind spot with pickle!

Baby bottle warmer with a jam jar inside with pickle in.