Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beading Wire breaking

Default Beading Wire breaking

Hi All.

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have having with beading wire. I use Beadalon 7 strand 0.018" or 0.012" for necklaces and bracelets. I've never had a problem with the necklaces but I have had several bracelets break. I attach clasps / space beads with crimps - I've tried both the tubes and the beads.

I also have used Illusion Cord / Monofilament but have come to the conclusion that this is too delicate and the crimps cut the cord. So what are you supposed to use with this??

I would really appreciate some advice as I obviously don't want to sell something that is going to break!

Hi Kermit welcome to the forums, lots of clever peeps here who will, I am sure, soon be able to help you with your query
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Kermit
    to the forum
    I know this might sound daft but have you checked it's not the beads cutting the wire. Sometimes the wear and tear that bracelets get makes the edge of the bead chip and that cuts the wire....
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Kermit, try using some heavier wire - 49 is best for things that might abrade it.
    Di x

I'm not much of a stringer, but when I do, for bracelets, I'll always use 49 strand, and I try to go for a 0.024 (with a .019 as a minimum).

Are your breakages happening at the crimp point or elsewhere? If it's at the crimp, it could be a problem with the crimps themselves, or the pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I'm not much of a stringer, but when I do, for bracelets, I'll always use 49 strand, and I try to go for a 0.024 (with a .019 as a minimum).

Welcome to the forum, Kermit

i use this aswell, the only time mine breaks is if i havent crimped it properly, i dont use illusion cord so i am afraid i cant help you on that one

Hi Kermit,

I'm a bit of a stringer ! and I almost always use .018 diam 49 strand, especially for heavier beads. If the beads are a bit lighter, then .015 is ok too. When you crimp your crimps, remember to hold the wires so that they are at either ends of the crimp, not in the middle. You then press the crimp twice, first in the 2nd rounded bit of your pliers, then turn it round and crimp it in the first rounded bit (hope you like the techy terms used here!). Then get some pliers and pull the end of the wire you have crimped. You'll soon know if you have done it properly, because if the crimp hasn't caught, it will break at this point! If its ok, then just feed about an inch of your wire back into the beads, cut the rest off and carry on.

Let us know how you get on.

Love
    Jules x

Smile

Thanks all. I'll definately try the 49 strand. I have had a problem with beads that are sharp on the inside - particularly some big chunky glass beads I had - so I've stopped using them. Other times the wire has broken at the crimp. I am using the proper crimping pliers - will have to ensure that I'm doing it properly EVERY time...!

I used to do mainly necklaces but am really getting into doing bracelets lately and they are popular.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on when I've bought some 49!

p.s i use flex-rite same as beadalon but cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    When you crimp your crimps, remember to hold the wires so that they are at either ends of the crimp, not in the middle.
    Love
    Jules x
    Hi Petal can you just explain that in more detail? Me or a quick diagram??
    Thanks
    Em