Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resizing - soldering with set stone in water

Default resizing - soldering with set stone in water

I have a sterling silver with quartz ring that I've made about a half size to big. The size was perfect, but before setting the stone I stupidly double-checked the fit on a hot and humid day and stretched it. I set the stone and finished it only to find in normal weather it's too big. Lesson learned. Now I want to resize it with the stone in place.

I just removed 1.5mm on the band at the solder joint. I understand that if I secure it upside down, keeping the stone submerged in water, I can solder the band closed without messing with the stone. Hopefully that is true!

My question: What do people use to hold the water? Is a glass jar safe to use? Will that amount of heat be ok? What about ceramic? I have lots of little ceramic candle holders that are just a bit bigger than the stone. I also have a small aluminum box...

Are there other ways to go about this?

Thanks!

The last time I tried to resize a sterling ring with a quartz stone in situ, the stone discoloured and cracked. Bear in mind that silver is a better heat conductor than gold. Submerging the setting in wet sand or clay would be better than just water.
    Can't you unset the stone before resizing?

Thanks Aurarius! I was hoping avoid unsetting the stone. It's in a bezel that I closed by hammering. Also, I don't know how to open a bezel without ruining it (yet?)

My girlfriend works at a ceramic studio. I can get my hands on a few different kinds of clay. Would porcelain be good? I think it has the least amount of grittiness.

I use thermo gel

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

I use Thermo Gel too - works really well and supports the piece for soldering, apart from the really burnt bits can be reused (keep in an air tight container)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Another thermogel fan (but I might try using a masking-taped scalpel to open the bezel first).

You might be lucky and get it done with thermogel but equally it may ruin your stone, I would say it depends whether you want to risk that or not.
    If I really didn't want to risk the stone I would remake the setting if need be after attempting to remove it without damage.

Why not reconsider the whole approach. Hot and humid weather will recur and with it the same problem.

What you need is a means of reducing the size of a ring temporarily when it happens. Ring clips are ugly but highly effective in accommodating small changes. There are other ways too: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ti...MemA8QfP-IbgDA

Dennis.

Thermogel works well for me, but as Enigma has said I'd also be tempted to remove the stone. In all likelihood you'll destroy the setting, but then simply remake it if possible.

Nick

Why not just leave the back open. Smooth off the silver ends so they are rounded and hey presto it fits all year.