Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Assay office pricing.

Default London Assay office pricing.

Is it just me being thick, but I can't make sense out of the price list. A friend has asked me to make her daughter a sterling bangle from 4mm round wire, the finished length is 24cm and it weighs 32 grams. I want it posted back to Exeter recorded delivery, I won't be charging labour as it's very plain round wire and she is a very good friend who helps me out from time to time, so cost has to be accurate. It seems as if the stamping is £12 or is that just a handling charge. Help, Dave I know you are up there somewhere, please help.

1-2 items £12
    Packet handling £3.25
    Logistics £5

= £20.25
    +VAT
    = £24.30

+ postage back £8.25?

That's what I made it too, but it seems a lot of money. The silver would work out at around £30 ish, so a plain silver bangle would work out over a hundred pounds if you were counting labour.

Yup. Prices for small runs of hallmarking are very high and need to be covered by the sale price.
    Less of an issue with more expensive materials.

you only need to have it hallmarked if you sell it to her and describe it as silver.
    If she is a friend and knows you, just buy some sterling silver wire and make a white metal bangle.

Personally I never send jewellery by Signed For as no compensation for jewellery if lost.
    Best to fork out the extra £2/3 and use Special Delivery.

It is not at all cost effective to send just one or two items for hallmarking - I'd suggest letting your friend have it unhallmarked (on loan effectively) until you have a batch of other stuff ready to send, then reclaim the bangle from her for a week or so and send it off with the rest.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    It is not at all cost effective to send just one or two items for hallmarking - I'd suggest letting your friend have it unhallmarked (on loan effectively) until you have a batch of other stuff ready to send, then reclaim the bangle from her for a week or so and send it off with the rest.
    For silver, no. I hardly bother hallmarking items below the 7.78g mark now - which is a pity when we're still talking about hand-made jewellery. Your suggestion is probably the best workaround for the short term, though.

I had a customer recently who sent an earring for repair (she'd broken the post off). Standard letter, apparently - not signed for, nor special delivery. Somehow it was my fault it didn't arrive...

Of course it was your fault Peter.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

End-to-end service doesn't (in this case) mean I'm running the courier company too...!