Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I probably need to man up

Oh yes, I definitely have imposter syndrome!

I am terrible at talking about (and writing about) my jewellery, for fear of showing off. So very British! I got told off this weekend whilst chatting to another jeweller for saying "yes but you're a proper jeweller". He firmly instructed me that I was also a proper jeweller. I think I feel kind of like it's still a hobby because I have another job (for now at least!) four days a week.

I had a stall in a makers tent this weekend and I printed out some photographs of work in progress to finished piece, and some custom work and put them in a portfolio. A lot of people looked at it and asked questions, which I found an easier way to start talking about my jewellery than just babbling at them when they came up to the table!

Really hard. It is easier to a degree if people come to me for a commission, but not a general 'hey check me out'. The aspergers' doesn't help the self assuredness. We have open studios once a month and it us usually good for the soul (as it is mostly favourable things overheard!) having said that, a lot of people have no interest in jewellery and head straight past to the pizza outside ;-)

Sorry but unless you put it out there people don't know what you have and how much it is... I have heard the argument that people think it costs more and then they have to buy because it's less than they thought... But just as you are scared to sell.. They are scared to ask...

The trick is to be certain but not forceful... Rehearse and research things that are or probably are "true" for example I have always loved jewellery but I couldn't afford the pieces I really liked so I decided to make some affordable ones..

It's all a trick to get a third party in to a conversation... Ie your jewellery... I can talk til the cows come home about my partners glass.. So I talk to people about my jewellery as if someone else made it... I share the story of the inspiration or how I achieved something... It engages people in your work without posing the direct question "do you want it or not"?

A great way to break ice if you're really scared is a focus group... Ask 6 people you know to each bring a friend to your house or similar... Pass round some pieces and ask for comment.. Good bad indifferent... Ask them if it is something they could see themselves buying or wearing or giving as a gift... Ask them to make a note of a price they might expect to pay.. Then tell them a story about the process of design and making... And ask them if it changes how they feel about any of the pieces...

If as usually happens they over price your work... Share that with them at the end... You might get an instant sale..

Feedback will help you feel professional and skilled... You will open the door to sales without ever asking them to buy... The only think left is to ask them to tell their friends...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1711; 01-09-2016 at 04:24 PM.