Thread: Questions about re-creating a bracelet

Default Questions about re-creating a bracelet

I got this bracelet while traveling. It is made using string and seeds. Too may of the black seeds chipped and broke off. But I still like it, so I want to remake it using more durable materials. Only the center seed will remain.

This is the first time I am doing something like this, so advice would be very welcome. I want to do this right.

I will use spacer beads instead of the black seeds (4 mm onyx and tiger's eye). String wire to replace the regular string, and a pearl/box clasp so it's easy to put it on.

There are five strings going through the center hole of the main seed, so I think 49 strand wire will be too think. Hopefully 19 strand will work.

I do need help figuring out how to "tie" the ends off and attach the clasp.

Can I use a single crimp bead on each end to tie it off and attach the clamp? Tie the 7 wires together, cut 6 off and bend the center one back in a loop after putting the clasp through? Would that work or is there a better way to do it?

I also don't have any jewelry tools, would that be a problem?

About the design change. I was thinking using all black onyx on the outside rows and alternating tiger's eye in the center. Or maybe there is another that would look better? I am a guy so design/matching isn't my strong suit.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160705_011937.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	9084

Hello Varga
    What you have there is a macrame bracelet, if you do a search for '3 strand macrame bracelet' you should be able to find instructions on making it. As for finishing the cord ends you might find 'beadsdirect.co.uk/findings/ends-tips' useful, they also do quite a selection of cords to use including things like leather 'beadsdirect.co.uk/stringing/'

If you want to use real gemstones then take a look at 'jewellerymaker.com' they have a huge selection of different stones at various sizes.

Hope this of help

David
    Last edited by David_Amos; 05-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.