Thread: Best flush cutters?

Default Best flush cutters?

Any recommendations for a pair that cuts cleanly and can take some abuse? I'm always breaking mine... Perhaps I should just accept their limitations and reach for the saw when cutting thicker wire.
    Alan

What sort of size wire are you cutting Alan?
    For genuinely flush cuts (ie no visible pinch at all) up to about 1.3mm the Tronex razor cutters (the oval 5513 version) will do the job. For up to 1.6mm, Lindstrom x162 (I like the RX version). Over that, I tend to just use a saw with a mitre jig, not least because of the amount of wire lost with the opposing pinch needing to be trimmed away.

The best I've ever used is the Swanstrom. They're a bit pricy but they're brilliant.

I have Lindstrom 8160 which I refaced to give a true flush cut 40 years ago, when I gave up jewellery for a time they were used for all sorts of cutting and have outlasted many other types.

Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated. The one I've just broken was the Tronex that you recommend, George, but I think I was cutting something like 2mm, so pushing it beyond its limits... only myself to blame! It does give a nice clean cut - on the flush side, at least, though as you say the pinched end then needs trimming unlike with a saw cut. I think I'll just have to replace it with another the same, or one of the Swanstrom family - I'll look into those - and then I'll have to be more careful, using the saw for bigger stuff.

Alan