Thread: facated cup - joint

Default facated cup - joint

Hi folks I am in the process of making a faceted cup by scoring fold lines - my question is how do I join the two ends ?
    Butt joint in the middle of the faceted panel ? or a miter ? - not sure how to cut a miter with a fileClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-13 15.15.59.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	9143
    Thanks J

The question which bothers me is 'Why are you making this faceted cup with so many facets?'

For larger facets, as when making a collet for an emerald cut stone, I find it easiest to make the join in the middle of one of the long sides. This gives me the chance of a final adjustment.

If this is a collet for a multi sided stone, I would make a well fitting round bezel from 0.4 or 0.5mm fine silver strip. When set it will adapt to the stone and take on its faceted shape. Dennis.

Hi Dennis this not a collet for a stone but a vessel / cup which will be 5" tall. J

I would add a few millimeters of silver to the shape, cut two further scores, one at each end, cutting them deep so that they nearly cut through the sheet, then you will have a couple of decent mitre corners to cut apart, before soldering together. If you make a good job of the soldering it won't be visible on an outer mitre point. Also make sure that the angle on your scorer is the correct size with so many mitres it will need to be quite a narrow angled point.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 13-07-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks James