Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postage charges

Default Postage charges

Hi there,
    I just posted something I sold through Etsy and thanks to an answer I received on this forum previously I knew that jewellery is not covered by recorded delivery but only special delivery. That cost £6.45. Although in this instance I charged the customer £4.45.
    I just checked what other jewellery makers seem to be charging for postage on Etsy and it is much less on the whole (at least the ones I looked at) charging around £3. Obviously they are not insured.
    I am wondering what any of have decided to do when posting? I am concerned that the high price for postage might put some people off buying.
    Thanks

Whoops - sorry - I just found an older thread which answers my question in part, although opinion seems divided on whether it's best to include postage in the price of the item. I would still value your opinions please. Also the PO ask what is in the package now so this may make a difference.
    Last edited by Lily; 12-07-2016 at 11:24 AM.

If it is under £50 and replaceable I'll send it ordinary post, if over £50 or not replaceable or lot of work gone into making it I'll use courier. Not special delivery as they only pay out the cost of materials, not your profit or time. And they still lose stuff. (two in a week which is when I stopped with them) Many people still think that recorded (ie signed for) is insured for jewellery which is probably why they are charging £3.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I build the postage cost into the price of the piece and give free delivery. Anything under £50 goes first class, over £50 goes tracked two day and over £100 goes special delivery.

Slightly different issue but Ive recently had two parcels ripped and the rings missing on arrival- one a gold one !
    I was using normal padded paper bags but am now switching to the tough plastic ones.

I have been using Royal Mail Special, but am looking around at other couriers, as i've had a few problems with them recently.
    I add the postage cost into the piece of jewellery and automatically give free delivery too. Most things are at least £200 and need to be insured anyway, so it makes sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Slightly different issue but Ive recently had two parcels ripped and the rings missing on arrival- one a gold one !
    I was using normal padded paper bags but am now switching to the tough plastic ones.

I've had problems with the tough plastic type bags too It hasn't happened in a while, but the sticky can come partly undone and stuff can still fall out.
    I always ask customers to put a bit of tape across the opening, so the little containers with their fingerprint impressions don't fall out & get lost. x

All my stuff goes in a jewellery box inside a cardboard box and I rarely get problems with things going missing and everything is very secure in its box.

Bags burst when they are squeezed going through the rollers. I've had single pearls ping right through the packing and padded envelope leaving a hole like the package has been shot. An extra square of bubble wrap sorts that one out
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    If it is under £50 and replaceable I'll send it ordinary post, if over £50 or not replaceable or lot of work gone into making it I'll use courier. Not special delivery as they only pay out the cost of materials, not your profit or time. And they still lose stuff. (two in a week which is when I stopped with them) Many people still think that recorded (ie signed for) is insured for jewellery which is probably why they are charging £3.
    Which courier firm do you use Pearlescence?

Dx
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk