Thread: Claw settings help needed

Default Claw settings help needed

I have tried several times to create a claw setting for faceted stones and I'm not doing very well!

for this attempt I have created a tapered collet to which I have soldered four claws. I haven't done a great job and my question is how should I solder the claws onto the collet? How do you support them?

I did them one by one with the collet laid on its side and both collet and claw held by tweezers / clamps. One of the claws moved when I soldering on the next one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-08 22.05.45.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	9132 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-08 22.50.14.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	9133

I've now set the stone and it looks OK, but I've cut one of the prongs too short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5jEVmvS9A
    These guys have good tips - you can view a preview or buy a lesson.
    Take a peek....

Hi a useful accessory is a soldering block which is so soft that sharpened wires can be pushed into it. This allows you to arrange them for claws around jump rings, or a collet, and easily solder all at once. Then you pull out your setting and cut off the sharpened waste bits.

Rashbel have a selection of blocks and sheets. They are also good for keeping things in place for soldering using pins. If they are not listed and you you might have to phone them.

I have also found these vermiculite fire bricks on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Vermic...-/281952310900. Dennis.

Great videos, thank you Theresa!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com