Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Practice

Default Setting Practice

http://vid446.photobucket.com/albums...psivlbbs1b.mp4

Still working on my setting silver and CZ I have the shoulder stones on order I didnt have the right size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _20160717_115309_zpss0xziaq2.jpg  

You know there's not much out there for setting practice in silver... Seen some complaints on one of the FB groups to that effect too. Depends how cost effectively you can do duplicates as to whether it'd be sensible.

Looks good - are you using a phone or a DSLR for photos? If it's the latter, have you tried Helicon Focus ?

It's just taken on my phone, silver wouldn't really be durable enough I don't think it's also very soft to work with but I find that makes working in gold easier. Maybe I could do a bit of a step by step not that I'm any expert

Not for wear, but fine for teaching. FWIW, the New Approach practice pieces are all brass (so a bit tougher).

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You know there's not much out there for setting practice in silver... Seen some complaints on one of the FB groups to that effect too. Depends how cost effectively you can do duplicates as to whether it'd be sensible.

Looks good - are you using a phone or a DSLR for photos? If it's the latter, have you tried Helicon Focus ?
    Hi Peter, do you have heliconsoft? It seems the photographic arms race is still on and maybe has further to go. The Olympus Stylus TG3 has 8-step stacking including processing built in. What of this functionality inside DSLRs or is it still done once the images are shipped out?

HDR and stacking all in one?

Yes, although I don't use it for everything (the workflow would be immense to always use it). There's always going to be room for improvement - all the algorithms are a compromise between processing power and desired results.

Not sure about 8 step stacking - the DOF on my 105mm @ f/8 is miniscule (tried to quickly find a DOF calculator online that doesn't just say zero, failed) so I usually end up shooting about 40 frames for a ring. All offline... I can run the stack capture from a tablet, but I need to get the photos onto a more powerful system to stack them.

Are you guys speaking another language

Sorry, slipped into photo nerd

The concept of focus stacking makes my head hurt! I just go for 'artfully blurred' instead...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not for wear, but fine for teaching. FWIW, the New Approach practice pieces are all brass (so a bit tougher).
    I dont like casting brass it makes a mess