Thread: how to finish surface of bench

Default how to finish surface of bench

I seem to be on a roll this week for asking very basic questions. I've decided to sand the top of my bench back slightly, which is made from an old oak desk - it has a dark stain finish, and I want to lighten my work surface a bit. I don't know how best to finish the surface though, not linseed oil as I do my soldering on my workbench and I don't want to set it on fire - varnish, hmm don't know if varnish is suitable for a workbench - perhaps wax it? How is everyone elses workbench surface finished? Perhaps it doesn't matter - I do sometimes get bogged down thinking there is one right answer to everything and I just don't know what it is!

I have never worried about how the surface of my bench looks, as long as it can be cleaned easily to retrieve scraps and lemel. I would just leave it sanded, it's how what you make at the bench looks that is important.

My bench surface,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	436 LED bench lamp.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	9059

James

Thanks James,
    I'll do that - one less job, and more time to practice - whats not to love?

When I originally made my work bench I finished it with Rustins Plastic coating, I assume it it would be much less expensive over there

I have a naked bench too, my huge old workbench is varnished, and it isn't pretty when something hot gets dropped on it (smell wise)

Thanks, caroline, china, Lydia - yuk - yes I can imagine the smell's not great, I wouldn't fancy a plastic coating either for same reason. Maybe youre not as clumsy as me china. I'm going with Lydia and Caroline - so naked! Btw Lydia re comment in Lounge - I hope your little boy is through his 'interesting times' soon! hopefully leaving you some energy for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I have a naked bench too...

Rustins is a unique and durable finish and can be a matt finish a semi gloss finish or a high gloss mirror finish, you drop something hot on it and it is damaged you simply sand it back and refinish that section, in saying all that I have many dings scratches cuts divots burn marks etc. etc. and have never bothered to refinished it.