Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold prices

Silver's gone high high high too. I'm going to need more soon and I don't know whether to get it now, or cross my fingers and wait for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by marna View Post
    Silver's gone high high high too. I'm going to need more soon and I don't know whether to get it now, or cross my fingers and wait for a bit.
    historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart

... and remember to up-date to include the latest figures.

It isn't necessarily the price of silver / gold, but the devaluation of currency. Post-Brexit, the UK is said to be warming up the printing press. Not literally, but preparing to produce greater debt-liquidity.

The one good thing that will come from this is that silver-smithing will be seen to be more valued. At present, rather just past, it was such a cheap metal.

Some friends asked if they could see my work and whilst they liked it one said '925 ... isn't that the cheap stuff you can buy at Argos?'. I like my friends; they speak their minds.
    With increasing prices it will no longer be seen that way.

I was just checking the price of gold for keum boo today and it's gone up £20 since I last bought it in Feb. Guess the gallery prices will have to be adjusted:/

Lovely display Caroline on your FB page. Did you make those pendant displays? Great idea - I need some!
    One advantage of bullion prices going up is that your stock is now worth a lot more...time for a re-pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Lovely display Caroline on your FB page. Did you make those pendant displays? Great idea - I need some!
    One advantage of bullion prices going up is that your stock is now worth a lot more...time for a re-pricing.
    Thanks Theresa, it's for a new gallery opening in time for the Pittenweem Arts Festival in Aug. I've not 'done' Pittenweem as its a week and on top of the fees you have to know someone who will rent a venue. The locals make a huge amount of money renting old shops with holes in the floor and garages that you can't even stand up in so this is giving me the opportunity without the slog and the cost.
    I bought all my display from https://www.3ddisplays.co.uk/lifts-steps-blocks-c21. It's a bit of an outlay but with care they will last forever.
    Not sure about pricing, it's a bit of a worry

The fluctuations are so large you just have to be prepared to reprice items to reflect gold price. Or if doing wholesale, have a basic price for product and a 'metal fix' price based on current or paid price for metal used.